What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rogers One Number app for the iPad, goodbye Skype!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Hi all!

My service provider for my iPhone is Rogers, here in Canada. A few days ago, they released a new app for the iPad that enables your iPad to make and receive calls on your iPad using my actual cell phone number. And it's free! You can make calls for free all over Canada without using your minutes plan or having additional charges.

When someone calls me on my cell phone number, both my iPhone and my iPad are ringing. Basically, they turned my iPad 1 into a "wifi" cell phone.

Basically, it does the same thing as Skype but uses my actual phone number for incoming calls. It works on any ISP, so you can use you iPad anywhere.

I've been using Skype for many years to make long distance calls across Canada. But I won't renew my 30$/year plan this year with this new service. Of course, with Skype, I could call all over America, but there is Google Voice that can do it for free.

So if you are a Rogers customer, and have also a cell phone plan, this app will be great for you.

Note: a Windows/Mac app client is also available for computers...

A happy Rogers customer!

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fine for Canadians but for us Americans are left out.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like us Telus customers are left out too. Skype is good for me though. Can't knock free calls to the UK, and the quality is good enough that you'd hardly know you are using VoIP. Works on my BlueTooth headset too.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check out the netTALK app, free wifi VOIP to anywhere in US or Canada. There are limits on the free service, but they are broad enough to offer reasonable casual phone communications with no cell phone required. It was a hoot calling friends from a wifi-enabled rest stop in South Dakota. It also let us call ahead for reservations in Canada, from the parking lot of any McDonald's or motel with open wifi. The iPad works very well as a phone, just using the built in mic and speaker. Free wifi is a lot easier to find than I'd expected.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
The trouble with all these free new voip services is that, especially in my case, Skype has been here for the last few years at least, meaning me and all my friends, contacts and clients are all skype based. If i change they wont.

Unless there's cross app voip accounts available?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think you may have missed the point. These apps are for calling regular phone numbers, not other users of the same app.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Most reactions