What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring My iPad to Sell

Chato111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! I am selling my ipad 2 16GB wireless to a friend as i have just purchased a 64GB for myself. How do I get it ready for her so she can set it up for herself

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With regard to your question, you'll need to restore your iPad to its factory setting before selling it. More here:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

You can also perform a Google search (use the box in the upper right-hand corner). Type in "Restore iPad for Sale" or something similar...there are a lot of tutorials available.

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

Once you've done that, your buyer can start fresh on her iTunes account. If you've already loaded iOS 5 on the device, the new setup can be done via wi-fi. Three options should appear, including Restore From Cloud and Restore From iTunes. Buyer should pick Set Up as New iPad.

Last edited:

cdbeshore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

Once you've done that, your buyer can start fresh on her iTunes account. If you've already loaded iOS 5 on the device, the new setup can be done via wi-fi. Three options should appear, including Restore From Cloud and Restore From iTunes. Buyer should pick Set Up as New iPad.

You can also do this by restoring through iTunes, but I have found that initiating from the device is the quickest and easiest way to get ready to sell.

OP
C

Chato111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help. How do I transfer all of my iTunes music to my new ipad?

OP
C

Chato111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I choose setup new ipad as well? This is all new to me.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you've saved a backup from your old iPad (before you cleared it out to give to your buyer), you can hook up the new iPad to iTunes and select to restore it from backup.

That'll make your new iPad just like the old one - only with more memory. :D

Marilyn

OP
C

Chato111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one more question about switching over to my new ipad from the old one. I wasn't aware I could download my old apps onto new ipad so I went in and downloaded them fresh. My question is I really wanted my old ones with all my saved data on them. If I delete the apps I downloaded fresh will it give me the option to get my old apps back?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you still have the old backup (as in, have NOT done a backup of your iPad to iTunes with the new apps), then you should be able to do a restore from that old backup.

It may be a simple matter of syncing iTunes and the iPad; you don't have to delete the newly installed apps. However, if you want to be absolutely certain, then yes, I'd delete the apps on the iPad and then do a "restore from backup" via iTunes.

I cannot guarantee that the data for the "old" apps will be in the old backup, but I can tell you that people have reported getting all their "stuff" back after a restore from backup. I, personally, have gotten stuff back. But - you have a better chance of getting the stuff back if you use the backup than if you don't. So, there's that...

As always, YMMV.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts