What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring iPad without iTunes?

gpeps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

Newbie here.

I am currently travelling with an iPad. Stupidly, just before I left I connected my iPad to my computer and it synced all my photos, therefore leaving me with v.little memory. I understand I am unable to remove these photos unless I reconnect with iTunes - unfortunately this won't be possible for another 5 months.

If I select 'erase all content and settings' will I be able to use the ipad without reconnecting to iTunes?

I am not bothered about losing all the content, however am very concerned that i won't be able to use the iPad if I select the above option...

Are there any alternatives? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much, George

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm pretty sure it's yes, you'll need to hook up to a computer To finish the restore.

Since you aren't worried about losing your info, is there anyway you can find an iTunes on someone else's computer?

That way, if you DO need a computer, one will be available. You'll have to re-sync it back to your home computer when you get home, but at least it won't be too full for your trip.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't give a definite answer.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
G

gpeps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn

Thanks so much for getting back to the post. That makes sense, I'll connect it to a comp in a cafe or some kind persons comp when I get the chance.

Any other advice, please let me know.

Thanks again Marilyn, much appreciated.

George

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to ipf,

This might be a stupid question, but can't you just delete the photos one by one out the photos app?

I hope you find this forum as informative and addictive as I do!
You will find that there are many members with a great knowledge base, waiting to help you with any issue you might have.

# Don't forget to use the search function, as there is a lot of issues already resolved here.
# If you haven't already, download the user manual for free at: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad
# Also, feel free to have a look at this thread, it gives great tips and tricks for new users: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
# Ensure you take time to familiarize yourself with the forum rules at: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Now that you are here you will never want to leave, so have the time of your life. :)

Regards,
Chays

OP
G

gpeps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks chays

It doesn't seem you can delete the photos from your iPad that were synced through itunes. I am only able to delete the photos which have been uploaded directly via a sd card connection kit.

It's really frustrating, but it seems I need to connect with itunes as Marilyn pointed out. I love my iPhone and iPad, but its so annoying how much relies on iTunes...

Anyway, enough of the grump. If anyone has any non-iTunes solutions, please advise!

Thanks, George

Most reactions