What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replicate a folder of documents to the ipad for reading offline

cneumann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to find an iPad application which will replicate a folder of files(images, docs, mpegs, xls) so that the documents can be read offline by the ipad user. The master docs could be in Google Docs, or on a Windows server share, I don't care. The problem is getting the application to replicate, that is keep the set of documents up to date from the master source, and make them all available offline on the iPad. I've tried several apps and they all require the internet connection to be live, and the document is pulled local when it's read. It's available offline after it's been individually retreived (ifiles for example), but only the pointer is available if it has not been retrieved. I need the full set to be replicated when the connection is live, and then available offline.

The intended usage is to have a sales person present documents from a library on the iPad whille they are reviewing with the customer. They will not be connected at that time.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cneumann said:
I'm trying to find an iPad application which will replicate a folder of files(images, docs, mpegs, xls) so that the documents can be read offline by the ipad user. The master docs could be in Google Docs, or on a Windows server share, I don't care. The problem is getting the application to replicate, that is keep the set of documents up to date from the master source, and make them all available offline on the iPad. I've tried several apps and they all require the internet connection to be live, and the document is pulled local when it's read. It's available offline after it's been individually retreived (ifiles for example), but only the pointer is available if it has not been retrieved. I need the full set to be replicated when the connection is live, and then available offline.

The intended usage is to have a sales person present documents from a library on the iPad whille they are reviewing with the customer. They will not be connected at that time.

With IOS5 in Safari you will be able to download pages for reading later when offline, is this the sort of thing you're looking for? Only 2 1/2 hours to go!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you could try dropbox. It allows for "open in" functionality to keep whatever file within it. 2gb storage is free with subscription after this. You'll need to install the free pc streamer onto the main server though. Office hd2 and a few others for excel file allows to upload to dropbox. You can even save while offline....be sure to set "local storage" to preference just don't turn off. Then once connected again the files will auto-sync. That's my best guess...but I'm sure other members will know better.
Wait for Sir Twerppoet.....he'll know it. :D
Hah...made a rhyme....
Wish I could do that all the time. :p

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts