What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repair iPad Pro or purchase 2018 New iPad?

ummaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

several weeks ago I tried to download and install Software update 11.3 to my iPad Pro 12.9 inch (first Generation iPad Pro) but I encountered several problems and was not able to update. I tried many times and received different error messages at a different stage of the process: error 14, then 4005, 4013, or 4014.

Several months ago I encountered the same errors during the previous Software update but then, somehow after many tries, I succeeded to update my device. This time since nothing could help so I brought my iPad to the Apple store from where I purchased the device.

They sent the device to the lab and after several days I received an answer: the memory has to be replaced and the cost of the repair is $350 and I get 3 months warranty on the repair. I almost agreed to repair the Pro but now I am thinking of another option.

After two years and a half of using my iPad Pro, I found that never really needed the so-called extra power of the Pro and I still prefer the handling of my old small 9.7 inches second-generation iPad. The price of a 9.7 inches New iPad 2018 is $550, so for $200 more than the price of the repair of my two and a half-year-old Pro I get a brand new iPad with which I can do all that I need. As far as I understand, the 2018 New iPad has a better processor than the iPad Pro first generation but on the other hand, has only 2GB RAM (4GB for iPad Pro)

Any recommendation? Would adding $200 for a 2018 New iPad instead of paying $350 for the repair of the Pro first generation, be a downgrade?
Thank you very much.

phee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

several weeks ago I tried to download and install Software update 11.3 to my iPad Pro 12.9 inch (first Generation iPad Pro) but I encountered several problems and was not able to update. I tried many times and received different error messages at a different stage of the process: error 14, then 4005, 4013, or 4014.

Several months ago I encountered the same errors during the previous Software update but then, somehow after many tries, I succeeded to update my device. This time since nothing could help so I brought my iPad to the Apple store from where I purchased the device.

They sent the device to the lab and after several days I received an answer: the memory has to be replaced and the cost of the repair is $350 and I get 3 months warranty on the repair. I almost agreed to repair the Pro but now I am thinking of another option.

After two years and a half of using my iPad Pro, I found that never really needed the so-called extra power of the Pro and I still prefer the handling of my old small 9.7 inches second-generation iPad. The price of a 9.7 inches New iPad 2018 is $550, so for $200 more than the price of the repair of my two and a half-year-old Pro I get a brand new iPad with which I can do all that I need. As far as I understand, the 2018 New iPad has a better processor than the iPad Pro first generation but on the other hand, has only 2GB RAM (4GB for iPad Pro)

Any recommendation? Would adding $200 for a 2018 New iPad instead of paying $350 for the repair of the Pro first generation, be a downgrade?
Thank you very much.

And I was considering getting an ipad pro for hubby. Guess I will think again on this.

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s anything particularly defective about the iPad Pro but, in your situation, I’d probably opt for the 2018 iPad and get the full year warranty. I’m using a three year old iPad Air 2 and haven’t found anything lacking.

OP
U

ummaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’d probably opt for the 2018 iPad and get the full year warranty.

Thanks, Wing rider,

the more I think about it, it seems that this the way to go for me. I am quite hesitant to pay $350 for the repair my relatively new device which seems to have some production's defect. The warranty on the repair is only 3 months and if such a problem appears again let's say, 4 months after the repair, then I am back to square one with no iPad and no warranty.

Not having the 12.9 inches laminated screen of my iPad Pro is not a deal breaker for me, so adding $200 for a 2018 New iPad with the option of an extended 2 years warranty seems the right option.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly defective about the iPad Pro
I agree with you. It was my bad luck to get what I believe, one of the few defective units in the line of production.

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That’s a hard decision but If the Ipad 2018 suits all of your needs, then I’d consider that. I just recommended that to a friend who does almost everything on her Mac and the Ipad is peripheral convenience for her.

I have the first gen Ipad Pro 12.9 which had only 128 GB at first and badly need more storage, I rarely use my Macbook Pro any more (except for accessing external drives) with IOS 11’s advances and newer apps that can fill most of the needs I used the Mac for (Affinity, RAW Power and Polarr for photography for example). I also keep my Ipad in split screen almost continuously so the 12.9 works better for me—but many prefer the smaller footprint of the smaller Ipads.

Most reactions

Latest posts