What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renewing a conversation about photo portfolios

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a search for "photography portfolio apps" and didn't come up with much. There was an earlier thread and I posted there, but the thread seems old and pretty much moribund so I thought I would start a newer one and see if folks have fresh new ideas on the subject, or perhaps even new apps.

One of reasons for getting an iPad was to have an easy and convenient way to showcase my photographs. (I do limited edition prints, cards, etc.) The sheer volume of work had grown so that toting an old, traditional, hard-copy portfolio was just too much. Plus keeping it up to date was expensive and way too time consuming. The iPad seemed perfect, and to date I haven't changed my mind.

I looked around for portfolio apps but didn't find any that really looked promising. The alternative seemed to be either PAGES or KEYNOTE, both programs that I use pretty extensively on desk-tops and lap-tops.

To shorten the story, I bought the iWork iPad suite and have found that KEYNOTE functions very well as a photo portfolio. Right now I see no reason to look any further for such an app. My preferred working method is simple. I create the portfolio (there are several) on the desk- or lap-top, upload it to Dropbox, download it to iPad and open it in KEYNOTE. Bingo. It's that simple.

Right now I am exploring the limitations of the transfer between the "big" program and the one for the iPad. I know there are some things the iPad program will not do. But for now the simplicity of the portfolios I create is working just fine.

So... what are others doing in this area? New, better apps? Ingenious approaches? Let's share!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Portfolio for iPad" cuts out the pc aspect by letting photog's do it on the go with the cck without having to sync up with iTunes.

june7777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plainsman. Off subject a bit but how do you take a beautiful moon photo like yours? I have a new Canon D60 (that I don't deserve) and have an opportunity in 90 minutes to take a picture of a spectacular full moon rising over a French mountain. Advise from anyone please...

OP
Plainsman

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI, June. I was away or would have answered sooner. Your D60 is a very capable camera. Remembr that the exposure for the full moon is exactly the same as for full bright here on earth. You can (1) set your camera for manual for EI100 at f/8, or (2) set the camera to do an auto-bracket series and bang away! Good luck.

Outl4w. I choose to use the lap-top because it is so quick and easy and I don't have to d/l any of the images to the iPad before going to work. Everything I do on the lap-top I could have done on the Pd but I would have had to d/l the photos. And there is no need to go thru iTunes to make the transfer. Up to Dropbox and then back down again! Voilá.

Most reactions

Latest posts