What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote for ipad gen10?

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. You guys helped me through the deciding process and I have followed your advice and bought an ipad (gen 10).
Thanks. Loving it.
I will be using it for keynote presentations.
However...
Is there any way I can advance the "slide" on the keynote presentation without physically touching the ipad?
I used to use an Apple Macbook, which has sadly become too old and unreliable and I had a small remote, about the size of a packet of gum, with which I could advance the slides. Is there anything which would do the same for an ipad?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi there. You guys helped me through the deciding process and I have followed your advice and bought an ipad (gen 10).
Thanks. Loving it.
I will be using it for keynote presentations.
However...
Is there any way I can advance the "slide" on the keynote presentation without physically touching the ipad?
I used to use an Apple Macbook, which has sadly become too old and unreliable and I had a small remote, about the size of a packet of gum, with which I could advance the slides. Is there anything which would do the same for an ipad?
Hi RobRoy - i've used Keynote on my iMacs and iPads for years but have never done a remote presentation - but for starters, there is an option within the Keynote app that permits remote use (see pic below from my iPad Pro) - check this Apple Support Article for the options and explanations. I'm sure others will 'chime in' with more specific suggestions - good luck. Dave :)
IMG_5242.PNG

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. And for taking the time.
But...
It talks about running a keynote presentation on a Mac or Notebook, using an iphone or ipad as the remote controller. What I want to do is have the ipad running my keynote presentation, cabled up to the projector, and have another device, something smaller, in my hand to advance the slide.
I have found "presentation remotes" on Amazon but I don't know if they will connect to my ipad and, more importantly, do what I want in Keynote.

Thanks again, this forum is ace for help and advice.

PS, just had a look and my keynote on my ipad does not have the "allow remote control" option!

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. And for taking the time.
But...
It talks about running a keynote presentation on a Mac or Notebook, using an iphone or ipad as the remote controller. What I want to do is have the ipad running my keynote presentation, cabled up to the projector, and have another device, something smaller, in my hand to advance the slide.
I have found "presentation remotes" on Amazon but I don't know if they will connect to my ipad and, more importantly, do what I want in Keynote.

Thanks again, this forum is ace for help and advice.

PS, just had a look and my keynote on my ipad does not have the "allow remote control" option!
Concerning your last statement about lacking 'allow remote control' in Keynote, what iOS is installed and what version of Keynote are you using (for me, iPadOS 16.2 & Keynote 12.2.1)? I'm not sure when that feature may have been introduced into Keynote since I have not had a need for its use, sorry.

As to the link, I scanned the options and not knowing what other Apple devices you owned, e.g. an iPhone, I was not sure if any would apply - for myself, I likely would have tried my iPhone which is the smaller version XR. Hopefully others who may have 'solved' this issue will post. Good luck - Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The article in Dave’s link also describes how to remotely control a presentation on an iPad with your iPhone. That’s also possible with an Apple Watch.

Make sure the Keynote on your iPad is up to date. Keynote Remote requires Keynote 2.1 or later. Keynote has been updated to 2.1 six months ago.

If the app is up to date, open one of your presentations, select the circle with the three dots at the top right
9499EF0A-9E14-4F9C-9142-699B46F358BB.jpeg

Go to Allow Remote Control:

D789C6AF-5013-425E-B478-CD80195407ED.jpeg

Then, as described in the link above, open Keynote on the iPhone and link it to the presentation on the iPad.
I‘ve just tried this with my iPhone and iPad, it works without problems.

Using an iPhone would be the easiest way to control a presentation remotely. I’ve also seen Bluetooth presenters which claim to work with an iPad. No idea whether or not that’s true. Maybe someone else has tried one of these.

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Lanny, tried that... didn't work but it was worth a go and would have been the cheapest option.
I found the "allow remotes" button, dunno how but suddenly it was there! It tells me to ensure that my iphone or ipad which I want to use as a remote is on the same wifi as the ipad.
Giradman and J.A., I don't have an iphone (shock, horror, please don't disown me for this!) so that's unfortunately not an option.
So, it's off to amazon and a bluetooth presenter.
I'll let you know how it works out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not an ideal solution, but since Keynote can be controlled from a keyboard, you could try pairing a bluetooth keyboard to the iPad and using the arrow keys.

Carrying around a keyboard is unappealing, but they make some cheap mini keyboards (about the size of a hand) meant for use with smartphones. Even it if does not have actual arrow keys, the presentation will still advance with the space bar.

I'm not sure what the range is though. Probably more limited than a dedicated bluetooth remote.

Last edited:
OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good idea Twerppoet, that sounds a lot more useful than just getting a remote. I'll go with that and let you know how it works.

OP
RobRoy

RobRoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It works!
Nice result. The ipad is connected to the projector by an hdmi cable and I can stay at the podium or another location and move on the presentation with a really small keyboard which was a lot cheaper than a "proper" bluetooth remote.
Yet again you guys have come up with the answer.
Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts