What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Registering a new ipad 2.... w a different name from the itunes account?

lizc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Am at the moment, still a complete noob at this. Just got my new ipad 2 and... I've already to sync-ed it with my bf's itunes... but I haven't registered my ipad yet?

For now it recognizes it as his ipad... Is there any way that we share his apple itunes account (for all the apps bought together) but I register the ipad under my name? cos it requests for an apple id...

I was wondering how families handle this? Like say if they get 4 different devices ipod, iphone, ipad, etc to different people... will it all say that it's registered to the same person as whoever owns the itunes account (eg. Dad)?

Been scouring the net for a bit, but maybe I'm not using the right search words??

Again, the question is:

Can I register the iPad under my name but use my bf's itunes account? Or will apple automatically assume that the ipad belongs to him since it's his itunes account? And is there any way for me to put my name there BUT use his account anyways (since we're sharing the cost of getting the apps anyways)

Any help is very much appreciated =) Thanx!

-Apple noob (for now, at least ;P)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, you have to use the Apple ID if you want to keep using the same apps without paying. However, this is only true of the various stores (iTunes, iBooks, App Store). You can use separate iCloud accounts (iOS 5 only) to keep your personal info seperate, and of course you can enter any separate email accounts you like.

Hold in mind that if you ever decide to go separate ways, all the apps and media will stay with your bf. While Apple allows you to share one account on multiple iPads (technically for family members only, according to the EULA), there is no way to transfer that account or the apps and media to a new owner.

Another downside is that you will find it difficult, if not impossible, to keep some app data (especially games) separate. I'm not sure how iOS 5 and iCloud will handle this.

If you don't mind that, keep the same Apple ID for the stores and different iCloud accounts. Otherwise, you should get your own Apple ID and start buying your own apps, music, etc.

If you need a separate Apple ID, you'll want to sync with a different iTunes library (or no iTunes at all, which is possible with iOS 5). If you don't have separate computers to do this, then create a separate user logons for that computer. Each user will have their own iTunes library, making it easier to keep things separate.

Here is a guide on setting up Apple ID vs iCloud:

Apple IDs and iCloud

Last edited:
OP
L

lizc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, already did check out the whole apple iTunes vs iCloud ids and decided that we'll do that. 1 iTunes account and 2 iCloud accounts.

About registering the device, i got impatient and just went ahead before waiting for any replies. What I did was log in via my bf's iTunes account before registering the device with my details. Surprisingly very straightforward and not overly complicated. Everything synced without a hitch.

Will do a bit more research bout the whole sharing iTunes account and all.

thanx twerppoet for your reply!

Most reactions

Latest posts