What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

recent

Teqmter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated to15.1, but i would like to stop what i call “Recent Files” that come up at the bottom of the window when I open a App. I don’t even use the recent in the side bar. Thanks ALC

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I updated to15.1, but i would like to stop what i call “Recent Files” that come up at the bottom of the window when I open a App. I don’t even use the recent in the side bar. Thanks ALC
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Simply go into Settings > Home Screen & Dock - then 'toggle off' the setting shown in a screenshot from my iPad (on 15.1) - Dave
Recents.PNG

OP
T

Teqmter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I don’t mean in the Dock. If I open Safari at the bottom of that window there is a row of recent window. I don’t want the row of recent windows. They are the row of windows at the bottom of the attached photo. Thanks
9E28D8F9-18F5-4144-83D8-3040EA1D6F0C.jpeg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Those are not recent files or history. Instead they are independen open screens. It’s part of the new multitask system that lets you have more than one window of an app open, to quickly switch between them. While it seems a bit redundant in Safari (because you can have tabs) this feature works on most other Apple and many third party apps. For instance, you can keep multiple notes open this way.

You can not turn this feature off, but you can easily swipe up on the unwanted sessions to dismiss them. As long as you don’t create new ones, they will not come back. You can also open the multitask window bu swiping up from the bottom of the screen and remove various sessions there.

The screen thumbnails quickly disappear the moment you start to interact with the app. If you want them back, you can tap the three dots at the top center of the screen. If there are no other open screens, you won’t see them. You will see the new controls for full screen, split screen, and slide over. The old gesture still work, but these are easier to see, and are easier to use when adding split view apps that don’t happen to be in the dock.

You can create new sessions by using the + window, Pulling up the dock and tapping Safari (if it’s in your dock), or by choosing to open a link in a new window (rather than a new tab), among others.

With Safari, it’s just one more choice on how you can multitask between sites, along with the new tab grouping feature found in the side bar. However, it’s not a bad idea to get familiar with it, since it allows better multitasking with other apps that don’t have tabs or other ways to navigate multiple open documents.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mail does this as well. It was a little annoying--yet another unexplained Apple "feature"--until I figured it out and started ignoring it.

I wouldn't mind new foodaraw if they didn't also drop useful old features n the process. iPadOS 15 broke Weblock's proxy scheme, which used to send annoying app ads straight into the void, in addition to be the best iOS web adblocker available. I wish I'd stuck with 14.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I don’t mean in the Dock. If I open Safari at the bottom of that window there is a row of recent window. I don’t want the row of recent windows. They are the row of windows at the bottom of the attached photo. ThanksView attachment 94894
Hello again - sorry that I misunderstood your question - TP has provided a thorough explanation above, so hope that you are now clear - more HERE that may help. Good luck - Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
T

Teqmter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks giragman, Twerppoet and LannyC for the help. Now that i know what it. ALC

Most reactions

Latest posts