What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

reading PDF offline?

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've book armed the instructions for my mobile phone on the iPads desktop but I'd like to be able to somehow save it so I can read it even tho I'm offline - is this possible on ipad?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've book armed the instructions for my mobile phone on the iPads desktop but I'd like to be able to somehow save it so I can read it even tho I'm offline - is this possible on ipad?

There are a few possibilities I know, there'll certainly be more than these:
If you use the Kindle app, save it there. It's possible to read books and documents offline. It works the same with iBooks.
Dropbox also lets you read documents offline: mark the file as favourite, and it's available offline as well.
Google Drive gives the possibility to view files offline too.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've saved the book to the Home Screen, you've basically saved a bookmark to the PDF. It will open in Safari.

Once the PDF is displayed in Safari you should see an Open In option at the top right of the screen. If you don't, tap in the middle of the screen and it should appear. It goes away after a short space so that it does not interfere with reading the document.

Tap on the Open In option and you will see several icons, some of which will be your apps that are compatible with the PDF document. That will include all the ones the J. A. mentioned, if you have them downloaded on the iPad.

If you are talking about the iPhone User Guide (or iPad's) you may want to use the iBooks app to purchase the iBooks version. It's much nicer than the PDF version.

image-1397110718.jpg

kemfer217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good advice above. My favorite pdf reader is an app called GoodReader, though it is not a free app. An alternative that I also like, which is free, is the PDF Reader.

Most reactions