What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading multi-page email attachments

ProBowler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a unique problem. I am trying to avoid using a laptop and would much rather use my iPad. However, here are my issues.

I receive emails with attachments that are multi-page .tif files or sometimes multi-page PDF's. My first question is, is there an app that will allow me to open and read 25 or 30 page email attachments? Second question - once these attachments are open, can they be saved to the desktop? Third part - Once saved, can these docs be attached to an outgoing email? In addition, I also need to open, write to, save and send excel files. I know I am asking a lot of a tablet, but carrying around a laptop in my circumstances is an enormous burden. Is there a solution out there? H E L P !

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Most of what you want to do can be done, though not with the same app.

Apple's free iBooks app or GoodReader (and a few dozen other apps) can be used to read and re-email PDF files. I'm not sure what you are talking about with the .tif file. I'd think it's the standard TIFF picture format, but I wasn't aware ti would handle multi-page documents. That said, I don't know what would read them, though GoodReader might.

To copy a file from Mail to an app that can read it just tap and hold on the attachment. You should get an Open In option and a list of compatible apps. (will only happen if you have those compatible apps installed).

You can not save the documents to your home screen (desktop). They must be in an app. Again, GoodReader is a good choice for general file storage and management. Hold in mind there is no general file space on the iPad. To move files between apps you basically have to copy them the new app. This is used by the Open In feature, supported by most (but not all) apps.

There are several options for editing Excel files. I'll post a couple links to reviews my members. They are older, but still pretty close. A search on the forum for any of them will get you all the opinions you could ask for on each app.

Compare iWorks, Office 2 HD, Documents to Go, QuickOffice by richsdams
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Office Apps Comparison by RedCoil (details and examples, very long)
http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

About QuickOffice, mostly about spreadsheets
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/55182-just-purchased-quick-office-hd.html

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Twerppoet has given you very good advice on your issues.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
P

ProBowler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply. The .tif files I was referring to are 25 to 30 faxed pages sent through what's called "RightFax". These faxed pages then get resent to a few of us as email attachments. I'll open it, review it, then redistribute it to a few other people. My IT folks at work said I can't do what I want with a tablet, only a laptop. Sounds like they are wrong???

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply. The .tif files I was referring to are 25 to 30 faxed pages sent through what's called "RightFax". These faxed pages then get resent to a few of us as email attachments. I'll open it, review it, then redistribute it to a few other people. My IT folks at work said I can't do what I want with a tablet, only a laptop. Sounds like they are wrong???

It should be possible. Even if GoodReader won't do it, there are several apps in the App Store that are supposed to be able to read electronic fax attachments. One of them is bound to work.

If you have a sample file with no private or privileged information I'd be happy to test it with GoodReader and a couple other apps I have. Others might do the same. You'll need at least one more post (3) before you can post links or attachments.

OP
P

ProBowler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outstanding, I really appreciate your willingness to spend time helping me thru this. I created a multi-page doc just like those I get at work (without the info, of course) and will send it along shortly.

The again, maybe not. Now I can't figure out how to send it to you. Do I need to do it direct to your email address? IfmI can't save it to the desktop then all I am left with is forwarding. H E L P - again.

Last edited:
OP
P

ProBowler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My follow-up note to you seems to have disappeared. Anyway, what I said was I don't know how to send you the email attachment or view the file without actually sending you an email. How can I get you the attachment?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You have a few options. If you have a cloud sharing service like DropBox, you can put it in a public folder in DropBox, generate a shared link, and post that link here. It's easier than it sounds. DropBox isn't he only service that will do this, so if you have something else check it out and see if it can make sharing links.

DropBox has a free basic account, and it's a useful tool to have on the iPad and your computer.

If you are using your computer, then when you are editing your post, choose the Go Advanced link below the editor. When you do that you'll have a Manage Attachments option lower on the page. Use that to upload and attach the file. Don't try this with the iPad. It won't work. If the file is too big it might not work. I'm also unsure if the forum will accept .tif attachments. If not, then linking the file is the only option.

Those are the easier solutions. There are more round about methods; but no reason to go into that unless you can't do one of them for some reason.

If you don't want to post it in the thread, the link option will also work for a Private Message.

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You need an app to read all the pages of a multi-page fax that is an email attachment.
Like Fax Reader by Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.

OP
P

ProBowler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond to your offer of assistance. I tried to attach the file thru DropBox as suggested and unfortunately it won't let me upload a .tif file as you suspected. I'll try figuring out how to generate a shared link. Thank you again.

Most reactions

Latest posts