What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

reading large pdfs in ipad 1 or 2?

constine69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, i am a current kindle 3 user and unable to read pdfs of 300 to 400 mb in size from scanned books. My question is whether i would be able to read a file that size on either ipad, will it even open? the PDF i mention looks great on my pc, so i know its a legit file. has anyone read a 1 Gig pdf on the ipad(s)? i plan to have 1000 page books scanned at some point. Thnx!:)

Edit: i would like answers for whether ipad users have been able to open and read pdf with sizes from 300 megabytes upwards. i don't need app comments

Edit: i dont need to know what apps open PDFs, and i dont live near an apple store. really is there anyone on this forum that has successfully opened and was able to read a pdf of 300 MB or larger size? the answers are pretty useless so far

Edit: really, just a simple answer, not stupid off beat stuff. can you read a 300-400 plus MB PDF with whatever app is required on the ipad 1 or 2? kindle 3 can go upto 100 mb but thats it.

Last edited:

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's an interesting question. Pdfs do work on the iPad 2, but they display a bit different than ePub. For one thing they don't have that nice page turn effect. When going from page to page, there is a slight delay until the page snaps into clarity. As far as file sizes, like I said . . . a good question that perhaps the folks at Apple might help shed some light on. I'm looking into getting a program that will convert my pdfs to ePub simply because ePub displays better.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Goodreader (website HERE) is the PDF reader I put on my new iPad2 (of course it does much more) - I've read much smaller PDF files w/ this program, so not sure about the large files in the range you mentioned.

Hopefully others w/ this program will 'chime in' or you might visit their website - plenty of manuals to help or I'm sure a support question concerning PDF file size would be answered. Good luck - :)

smitty97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Put the big pdf on dropbox and go to an apple store & try it out with iBooks or something.

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, i am a current kindle 3 user and unable to read pdfs of 300 to 400 mb in size from scanned books. My question is whether i would be able to read a file that size on either ipad, will it even open? the PDF i mention looks great on my pc, so i know its a legit file. has anyone read a 1 Gig pdf on the ipad(s)? i plan to have 1000 page books scanned at some point. Thnx!:)

Edit: i would like answers for whether ipad users have been able to open and read pdf with sizes from 300 megabytes upwards. i don't need app comments

the ipad 2 sweeps the floor with the ipad 1 when it comes to reading large pdfs.

sure, they load on the ipad 1, but it takes ridiculously long to do so.

for example, i have a medical textbook with over 1000 pages in hard copy, but i downloaded a copy of that on my ipad 1 but was never actually able to use it because it would taken up to three seconds to even flip a page. with my ipad 2, it flips without any delay, doesnt even make the flip animation choppy.

this is all using ibooks, which comes with the ipad.

EDIT: this book only comes up to 110mb.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts