What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ReaddleDocs for iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
readdledocs-ipad.jpg

Today Readdle announces the release of ReaddleDocs for iPad, powerful file manager, document reader and attachment viewer for iPad, based on its popular iPhone application. ReaddleDocs for iPad spotlights new user interface redesigned for a large screen, powerful PDF viewer that supports text reflow mode and embedded links, email browser to access and save email attachments, built-in text files editor and hundreds of other features.

ReaddleDocs for iPad has carefully redesigned user interface which takes advantage of the large device screen and is superior to any similar product on the App Store. It combines desktop class file manager, several document viewers, web browser and email client within one application while keeping perfect balance between functionality and ease of use.

Outstanding built-in PDF reader has all the functions missing in the standard iPad PDF viewer. It supports large PDF files, full text search within the document, password protected documents, navigation through embedded links and PDF bookmarks. In addition, ReaddleDocs for iPad has PDF text reflow mode that extracts text from the PDF document and fits it into the iPad screen. In this mode user may adjust font size and easily read PDFs with small text.

ReaddleDocs is well known for its attachment saving capability, and iPad edition of the application fully supports it. User can browse their email accounts from ReaddleDocs and save attachments directly to his iPad. It's fast, secure and suitable even for sensible business information. Moreover, ReaddleDocs for iPad opens email attachments that cannot be read by the iPad Mail application like password protected PDF files and ZIP archives.

Connectivity to the most popular online storages is another key component of ReadleDocs for iPad. It lets download and upload files from MobileMe iDisk, Dropbox, GoogleDocs and other services, and some home NAS drives. Also, application has a built-in web browser to find and save files from the Internet directly to the iPad. It can even save whole webpages with images to read them offline.

For more information visit: ReaddleDocs for iPad for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this and GoodReader? I am curious how they compare.

I have been using GoodReader for the past couple of days and I like it a lot. It easily accesses my dropbox and my MobileMe iDisk as well as being able to transfer files wirelessly from my Macs. It is well worth the one dollar it costs.

Readdle.com

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Readdle has released the brand new version of ReaddleDocs for iPad. Now it features highlights and annotations.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5C9A7A%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:42.5pt 42.5pt 42.5pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Обычная таблица"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> To the business, New version of ReaddleDocs lets people highlight text inside PDF files in several colors, make notes at any place in the document and save these changes being compatible with desktop PDF readers.
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks to the large screen and intuitive touch based controls the iPad is actively used to read books, magazines and documents in PDF format. Now with ReaddleDocs 1.5 people can interact with the PDF document leaving notes or highlighting important text passages in addition to simple reading.
Annotations made with ReaddleDocs 1.5 are saved within the document in accordance with PDF format specification. Thus ReaddleDocs can edit highlights and text notes created in Apple Preview or Adobe Acrobat Reader and vise versa. At the same time it lets people easily share their annotated files with friends and co-workers.
We'll be glad to hear your comments, suggestions and feedback.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a trial version of this? When some PDF files of mine turned out blank in goodreader I bought the docs2go hoping it'll be viewable. But it didn't . Anyone here has bought it yet?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a trial version of this?
That would be nice since $5.00 is just over my "imaginary" limit of what I am willing to spend on an app just to see if it is suitable to my application. I know the developers have to make their money back, but if they would put out a "lite" version that would allow potential buyers to see even if it works, I think (IMHO) they would make more money than trying to make their money back right out of the box.

Readdle.com

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a trial version of this? When some PDF files of mine turned out blank in goodreader I bought the docs2go hoping it'll be viewable. But it didn't . Anyone here has bought it yet?

Unfortunately, there is no trial version available. But if you want, you can e-mail us your files so we'll try them out.

Truth be told, it's impossible to read all kinds of PDFs on iPad, however, our PDF rendering engine (in ReaddleDocs) is one of the best around.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Unfortunately, there is no trial version available. But if you want, you can e-mail us your files so we'll try them out.

Truth be told, it's impossible to read all kinds of PDFs on iPad, however, our PDF rendering engine (in ReaddleDocs) is one of the best around.

That would be sensible, can I have your e-mail add instead. It's rather huge to be attach to an e-mail so i'll share it instead using dropbox. Thanks.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes and No

I have run into a PDF that would not display on the iPad as it contained executable code that Apple blocked on the iPad. The reader apps would exit to the desktop.

I could read the PDF on the Mac and in Windows. It dawned on me that by simply PRINTING the PDF to another PDF using Mac OSX removed the offending code and left everything else intact. The PDF displays in all its glory on an iPad now. This may be a good way to render a suspicious PDF safe if you thought it contained executable TROJAN code designed to subvert your Windows PC.

Some PDFs are made up of images only. You can not highlight text in these PDFs because there is no raw text but you can draw on them which works for some people. Just draw lines under or around what you want to highlight.

Readdle sounds similar to iAnnotate now in its capabilities except iAnnotate has tabbed PDF browsing which is very nice for a power user.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That would be sensible, can I have your e-mail add instead. It's rather huge to be attach to an e-mail so i'll share it instead using dropbox. Thanks.

The iPad can easily read huge PDFs. I use it to display the OFFICIAL GIMP MANUAL which is between 900 and a 1000 pages fully of graphics and text.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4phun, I'm not a technical person. Your explanation above sounds jargon to me :D anyway, I e-mailed the developer of goodreader . They gave me a link, and this is the explanation and maybe the solution
I see blank pages in my PDF file, but it shows fine on my Mac/PC
There are two main reasons for this:

JPEG2000 image compression. This compression used in some PDF files can't be understood by current versions of iPhone OS (and GoodReader heavily relies on its capabilities). However, there's a very easy workaround for that.
If you have a Mac computer, open this PDF file in Mac's standard Preview application, go to File menu and select Save As command. Then resave this file as a new PDF (just make sure to change a file name, to preserve the original file unchanged). The new PDF file will be formatted in iPhone-friendly way.
If you have a PC computer, the solution would be to reassemble a file in Adobe Acrobat software (or other) replacing JPEG2000 image compression with more conventional JPEG. Print your file to a special Adobe PDF printer (installed by Acrobat). Make sure that inside this printer's settings, on Images tab two first Compression fields don't show JPEG2000. If they do, change them to JPEG.
Incompatible encryption. GoodReader heavily relies on iPhone OS capabilities. iPhone OS 3.0 can't understand the 256-bit AES encryption used in some PDF files. There are two solutions:
remove encryption completely. Use Adobe Acrobat or special encryption removal software, for example, this: A-PDF Restrictions Remover
change an encryption method to a more compatible one. Use Adobe Acrobat for that.
Consult our customer support service for more details.

It does sound sound to be the solution , but I couldn't get it. I tried to do it in my pc but nothing happened. Someone here could explain it in a more simple way? Thanks

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@j0yful

@j0yful

I do not like posting to this thread because of its location in our forums. A quick note is that your latest observation is accurate as posted and IMHO well written.

Pick another forum and start or add to a thread there and I will get back to you as needed.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just finished posting a new thread under iPad apps. Many thanks in advance.

Most reactions

Latest posts