What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions on syncing

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have an iPad coming in a week or so, and I feel like a real dummy, not knowing what happens when you sync music, apps, etc. from iTunes. I did read part of the user guide, but it doesn't really give much info on that.

Does syncing mean the files are copied or moved from the computer to the iPad? If you have files on there that are not recognized by iPad, will they be synced even though they can not be used? More questions to come, and all help will be appreciated. This is our first i-gadget, so I have to learn from ground zero.

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have an iPad coming in a week or so, and I feel like a real dummy, not knowing what happens when you sync music, apps, etc. from iTunes. I did read part of the user guide, but it doesn't really give much info on that.

Does syncing mean the files are copied or moved from the computer to the iPad? If you have files on there that are not recognized by iPad, will they be synced even though they can not be used? More questions to come, and all help will be appreciated. This is our first i-gadget, so I have to learn from ground zero.

I am not sure exactly what is sync'd, but enough of the program has to be on the iPad for the app to run. Re: music: the music file and, if available on your computer, the album cover (photo) copy over to the iPad. Books are completely on the iPad. I am not sure what iTunes does w/photos - I think it might compress them, but it does reformat them before it moves a copy to the iPad. Documents for word processing get reformatted for viewing on whichever document app you use on the iPad.

The main thing to know is that when you load photos from your camera to the iPad, you may not be able to copy them over to your computer. If you do a forum search on this issue, you will find threads with more info. Also, if you get a new computer, be sure to copy your iTunes library from the old computer to the new computer (via external drive or something similar) b/c you will not be able to use iPad as an "intermediary." Again, there are more threads about this issue.

Have fun with your new iPad!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts