What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding dead pixels

Mannas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I bought an Ipad 2 (first apple product by the way) and I have had it for 8 days. I noticed yesterday that there was a dead pixel. I wanted to ignore it but realized it was just going to bug me so I called the Apple store to see what they suggested. He said Wal-Mart (where I bought it) may exchange it but bring it to them first and they may be able to do something for it and save me some trouble. I booked an appointment with the Genius Bar (this is all new to me) and took it in this morning. The rep looked at it and said yes it was a dead pixel and they would replace it under warranty. She went to the back and got another one and I checked it out. It looked but brand new but I asked her if it was refurbished. She said not in a sense that someone had used it and just sent it back. It looked fine so I took it and took it home. I told my fiance and she thought I got screwed since I had only had it 8 days and that they should have given me a new one instead. At first I blew it off but I started thinking she's right as she normally is. I could understand more if I had it for several months or weeks even but it had been just over a week. Is this the normal procedure to get a refurbished one and does anyone know anything about them or had any trouble with them? Did I get screwed? Should I have just gone back to Wal-Mart and exchanged it for a new one?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The replacement units which are provided in Apple Stores are never refurbished items, but they do NOT come from retail boxes. I have had a couple of replacements in my time and they always come out of special plain boxes, but are brand new units. Apple keeps these specific replacement models in each store. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

OP
M

Mannas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick response. I apologize. I think refurbished was not the right word. You're exactly right about the box and I think that's part of what had me questioning it. I'm not one to complain though so I didn't say anything. That reassures me though if they really are just new replacements in plain boxes for that purpose. I just didn't want to lose that newnessvof it :) or worry about quality. This is my first Apple purchase so I didn't want to be let down either. Thank you again for your response.

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabbysouth said:
What is a dead pixel? Glad u got it taken care of

A dead pixel is... "a dead pixel". A screen is built up of millions of tiny "dots" well not exactly dots but this way it's easier to understand. These dots together make the lighted screen in front of you, when one of these dots ceases to produce, it leaves a black dot on the screen, and when in the middle of the screen can really be annoying.

Gabbysouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I knew what a live pixel was but never knew there was such a thing as a dead one. Appreciate the response

willyarnold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first iPad 2 also had a dead pixel. Luckily I noticed it pretty quick and took it right back to Radio Shack where they exchanged it immediately. I must be a magnet for these things, because I have had three Sony laptops and one Samsung monitor with dead pixels. Or maybe I just notice them more than others? Anyway, I wasn't about to be stuck with one on my new iPad.

Most reactions