What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about pages & hotspot

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I just wondered is it possible to save the work you do on pages or keynote on your iPad? I may not always have access to Internet to be able to email it to myself..

Also I'm thinking of getting a wifi only iPad, I won't be able to pay for the 3G every month or however it works, i will be going to college next year and there will be no wifi access in my room just in college, I think I will be happy to connect though hotspot from iphone.

I don't really know much about hotspot if someone with experience of using it regularly for their iPad could tell me how good or bad it is?

Does it work as only if you have the 3G symbol on your phone then you will be able to connect the iPad?

Hope this make sense and thank in advance
(I'm in the UK btw)

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure about keynote but pages automatically saves itself when you finish a document and either exit pages or start a new document. Hope I understood what your question was.

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure about keynote but pages automatically saves itself when you finish a document and either exit pages or start a new document. Hope I understood what your question was.

That's great thank you! So then when u save it, can you plug the iPad into your computer and access the files from there?

larjan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it doesn't work that way. Look at the Dropbox app. I have it on my computer and on my iPad. The things you want to share between them I transfer to Dropbox. Look at the app or better yet install first on your computer and look at the info how to use it. ICloud is somewhat the same but I find that I like Dropbox better.

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it doesn't work that way. Look at the Dropbox app. I have it on my computer and on my iPad. The things you want to share between them I transfer to Dropbox. Look at the app or better yet install first on your computer and look at the info how to use it. ICloud is somewhat the same but I find that I like Dropbox better.

Ok thanks I will have to try when i get my laptop back, can anyone answer my hotspot questions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never had any problem using my iPad with the iPhone's hotspot. The iPhone does need a good 3G signal if you want a decent internet connection. It may work with a slower (sub 3G) connection, but you will not like the speed.

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had any problem using my iPad with the iPhone's hotspot. The iPhone does need a good 3G signal if you want a decent internet connection. It may work with a slower (sub 3G) connection, but you will not like the speed.

Do u think the hotspot is good then? Instead of spending extra money to get 4g and then pay for a data plan when I need it (most likely being all the time)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It all depends on what kind of things you are going to do. The iPhone's 3G hotspot is ok for mail, web browsing, and smaller file transferees. It can be slow for viewing videos or large up/downloads. 4G on the other hand is faster than most home connections. It's way faster than my home internet, at any rate.

Not that LTE an option here, though I am lucky enough to have a Verizon 3G tower 1/4 mile away. I use it as a backup to my normal internet.

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all depends on what kind of things you are going to do. The iPhone's 3G hotspot is ok for mail, web browsing, and smaller file transferees. It can be slow for viewing videos or large up/downloads. 4G on the other hand is faster than most home connections. It's way faster than my home internet, at any rate.

Not that LTE an option here, though I am lucky enough to have a Verizon 3G tower 1/4 mile away. I use it as a backup to my normal internet.

Would you know how it would be for Dropbox? 4G is not available where I live yet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nfs said:
Would you know how it would be for Dropbox? 4G is not available where I live yet

Like I said, depends on the size of the documents. I don't have problems with it, but I rarely keep documents larger than 5MB on DropBox.

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like I said, depends on the size of the documents. I don't have problems with it, but I rarely keep documents larger than 5MB on DropBox.

Ok thank u :)

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok thanks for ure reply ;) thank u

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, Pages is not integrated with Dropbox. I use Office 2HD or Quickoffice with Dropbox. There are ways around it with Pages but they are klunky at best.

I used my husband's 3G hot spot for the last two years with wifi only Ipad. Its okay with anything without many graphics but unless you have true 3G and three bars at least it gets tedious. As said it works fine for email, browsing. I do open Dropbox from it but none of my files are huge.

I bought the Ipad 3 with 3/4G this time and just 1GB (which I can change if needed when traveling) and have only used 20% of my data plan with 3 days left but still, when I needed connection I had it (plus husband upgraded to Iphone 4s and didn't add tethering this time).

OP
Nfs

Nfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my iPhone 4s as well.. I dnt think I could afford the iPad or the data plan payments every month

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I dropped my iPhone's tethering plan when I got the 3rd gen iPad. The 2GB plan is costing me 10 dollars more than tethering on the iPhone did ($30 vs $20), but the increased ease of use is worth it to me. Tethering is included in the Verizon plan, so the iPad still gives me a backup connection at home.

Also, as an unexpected bonus my iPhone reverted to my original unlimited data plan that I signed up with on the Droid X. I lost it when I activated the Personal Hotspot. Not that I'll likely every need it.

The nearest city is supposed to get LTE this summer. That will be cool, if of limited use. Still, I might get lucky. They could include my local tower (30 miles away) by accident. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts