What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About GoodReader & Icomic Apps

Barramundi181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few days ago I got some good answers here on how to transfer comics(in .cbr & .cbz formats) onto my Ipad.
So i bought the GoodReader & Icomic apps.

I used GoodReader to transfer the comic files onto the Ipad. I can see them & I get a dropdown menu when I click on them, but I can't figure out how to get the comics to open in Icomics.
I tried to open them in the way I was told in my last question, but I keep getting the message "Can't Open In Other Apps. No App Able To Handle This File Type Was Found".
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I also used the ftp tool in Icomic & transfered the comics onto the Ipad that way. The files seem to be some where on my Ipad, but I can't find them and Icomics doesn't open them automatically.
Any advice on this?

Thank You

OP
B

Barramundi181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update

I just realized that the .cbz files are working on the Icomic app, but the .cbr files are not showing up at all. Is the Ipad supposed to read .cbr files or am I supposed to convert them to .cbz files?
Thank You

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I took a look at the description for iComic -comic reader- and it only mentions being able to read the .cbz format. So, yes, you probably have to convert them, somehow. I'm not familiar with comic formats or converters.

You could try visiting the developer's web site and contacting them.

OP
B

Barramundi181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

When you mentioned that the comic reader only read one kind of file I tried to ftp thru a different reader called Bookman.....Now it is working. Thank you

In_Dhaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you mentioned that the comic reader only read one kind of file I tried to ftp thru a different reader called Bookman.....Now it is working. Thank you

hi,
I am a brand new user of ipad. I have just installed the goodreader and I am happy with the folder structure. Now I need to open some cbr files I have within the goodreader folder stucture. I have installed cloudreader and I want to open the cbr files without changing it's location in the file directory/

Please help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad is an app centric device. Unlike the more traditional file centric computers there is no heap of files that everything can get to. Instead each app owns it's own files and keeps them in it's own private file space.

The result of this is that you can not keep your files in one app but open and use them in another. When you open the cbr file in CloudReader it will make a copy in CloudReader's own file directory. It will have no affect on the file already stored in GoodReader.

The usual way of dealing with this is to pick the app you want for that particular use, and keep all your files for that use in that app.

The other possibility is to get an app that works with a cloud service like DropBox or Box. Then you store your files there, and all apps that can access that cloud service can get to those files. However, most of the time this still results in several copies on the device, one per app using the file. It depends on the app(s).

It can be inconvenient if you really need to keep using the same file in several apps.

On the other hand this feature (called sandboxing) also make the iPad extremely resistant to viruses and malware.

Most reactions