What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quandary - Verizon or AT&T iPad2?

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my quandary: I have two iPhones and an iPad all with AT&T service. The newest iOs revision will allow my iPhone 4 to be a mobile hotspot for an iPad, If I read the announcements correctly. Soooooo, If I pick up a new iPad2 in the wifi and 3G Verizon version, will I be able to use an AT&T iPhone4 as a mobile hotspot for the iPad2 but still be able to use it's native Verizon 3G when I wish?

Decisions, decisions, decisions

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
Here's my quandary: I have two iPhones and an iPad all with AT&T service. The newest iOs revision will allow my iPhone 4 to be a mobile hotspot for an iPad, If I read the announcements correctly. Soooooo, If I pick up a new iPad2 in the wifi and 3G Verizon version, will I be able to use an AT&T iPhone4 as a mobile hotspot for the iPad2 but still be able to use it's native Verizon 3G when I wish?

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Yes. It will work fine. I don't know why you would want to tether if you have a 3G iPad on verizon anyway.

OP
Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tethering Verizon to AT&T

In order to give me the greatest flexibility traveling. There are areas in these fair United States where AT&T works and Verizon does not as well as vice versa. The Verizon iPad2 will not work in most of the foreign countries I visit but the AT&T version will. CDMA vs GSM issues.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
In order to give me the greatest flexibility traveling. There are areas in these fair United States where AT&T works and Verizon does not as well as vice versa. The Verizon iPad2 will not work in most of the foreign countries I visit but the AT&T version will. CDMA vs GSM issues.

Yes the gsm vs CDMA issue. I just went with a wifi only iPad and tether to my Env touch through Bluetooth. It is on verizon and I get service EVERYWHERE! But I do not plan on going out of the country for a long time, if even ever.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a Droid X with the hotspot activated, and a 3G iPad. Since AT&T coverage is spotty where I live this does indeed give me some extra flexibility. Whether I will keep this flexibility (and faster AT&T connection when available) or go to a Verizon iPad next, I don't know. I'm still muling it over.

OP
Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, the consensus is

Go with the Verizon iPad2 and tether it with iOs 4.3 to my AT&T iPhone4. Best of all worlds.

"Get online in more places.

On the road, in an airport, at the park — now you can bring Wi-Fi with you wherever you go. Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device. You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB — with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.4 Every connection is password protected and secure. And it’s power friendly, too. iPhone detects when your Personal Hotspot is no longer in use and turns it off to save battery life."

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
Go with the Verizon iPad2 and tether it with iOs 4.3 to my AT&T iPhone4. Best of all worlds.

"Get online in more places.

On the road, in an airport, at the park — now you can bring Wi-Fi with you wherever you go. Download iOS 4.3 on your iPhone 4, and the next time you find yourself without access to Wi-Fi but in 3G territory, enable Personal Hotspot and share your cellular data connection with your Mac, PC, iPad, or other Wi-Fi-capable device. You can share your connection with up to five devices at once over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB — with up to three of those connections using Wi-Fi.4 Every connection is password protected and secure. And it’s power friendly, too. iPhone detects when your Personal Hotspot is no longer in use and turns it off to save battery life."

Nice.

Most reactions

Latest posts