What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon or AT&T for iPad 2

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 3G AT&T iPad now.. Never really had any data issues with it.

Got my iPhone 4 little less than a month ago (for work) on Verizon network. Yet to have a dropped call or data issues. I currently have over 400 minutes talk time. About 80 emails a day via 3 push accounts, facebook notifications, google sync, ect.

Now my iPhone naturally gets more 3G data time then the iPad. iPhone ispn me 24/7. iPad is never carried away with me unless I think I need it..

But in reality, how bad IS AT&T service data wise? Everyone complains of dropped calls, and a little of a clogged network (San Fran, NYC) but for everyone else..??

I'm tossed who I want to go with for my iPad 2. I'll be picking up a 16gb 3G again (I have 8gb free on this one now).

Thoughts?

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All depends on where you live.

Some areas have much better service with AT&T and some are better with Verizon.

I would say, "don't fix what isn't broken" but it sounds like both companies work well in your area so I'd probably say go with Verizon just based on simplified billing.

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That brings up another point..

Verizon soon to end unlimited data plan on iPhone 4. Thankfully I got mine locked in.. I'm already over the 2gb and still have a week to go!

Wonder if verizon will add unlimited data for the iPad as well, or cap it at 2gb.

Or if they run it with iPhone data plan until they cap the iPhone (a few weeks I heard) then apply that as well to the iPad. Which in my case would suck. I won't buy my new iPad until may..

Choices choices.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not just the coverage, it's how crowded the network is. I use my iPad everyday at work on 3G in Boston. Even though a have full bars, my data speed slows to a ridiculous stopping and starting crawl in the afternoon.

I recently finally bought a Verizon iPhone 4 and tested many full-size web sites (no mobil sites). There was no comparison. Worse case the iPhone on Verizon was the same speed, but during business hours the iPhone was at least 5-times faster. It never slows to a crawl. This is even though ATT's 3G is supposedly capable of faster speeds.

I'm going to give up my unlimited plan on ATT and buy the Verizon iPad. Hopefully 3GB for $5 more will be more than enough for me.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The days of unlimited 3G data are over. If you have unlimited on the AT&T iPad, I would go with them as they will allow you to keep the unlimited plan. Otherwise, you can look at tethering your iPad2 to your iPhone.

Nick Burns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be going with AT&T if nothing more for it's postpaid option.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other potential issue. It's my understanding that the Verizon iPad is CDMA whereas the AT&T is GSM. If you plan to go abroad, you'll find that in most of the rest of the world, it's GSM only.

I'm probably wrong - I usually am - so perhaps someone else can comment?

Tim
Scotland

trusted_advisor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its true that a majority of the world uses GSM technology. However, its been rumored that Verizon is going to introduce new international data options for the iPad 2 which allow them run on GSM when its available, to provide a wider coverage range for customers who spend a lot of time outside of the country. However, this means that their international data prices will more than likely exceed that of AT&T's. Its a privilege to have that kind of coverage with Verizon - with AT&T, it just happens.

Regarding data speeds, and which company is best for you, you really should check the coverage map for your particular area. Regarding AT&T's dropped calls/seemingly unreliable service, keep this in mind: AT&T offers more 3G devices, used by more busy-body professionals utilizing the network on the prized unlimited plan. No doubt Verizon's reliability will decrease as their iPhone customer base rises.

Personally, I prefer AT&T. I am a little biased, to be honest. I'm also a troubleshooting master, so if the data gets clogged at any point its fixed within two minutes. Reset the network settings and you're solid.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The days of unlimited 3G data are over. If you have unlimited on the AT&T iPad, I would go with them as they will allow you to keep the unlimited plan. Otherwise, you can look at tethering your iPad2 to your iPhone.

You can still get unlimited data with Virgin Mobile. My Optimus V phone (Android 2.2) allows wireless tether without rooting. I can tether it to my iPad all day long for $25 a month. As a bonus I get 300 minutes and unlimited texts as well. Remember, this is pre-paid, so no contract.

For total disclosure, VM will throttle your speed after 10gb in a month but you would find it extremely hard to use that much data.

VM uses the Sprint network, so make sure you have good Sprint coverage in your area if you go this route.

Cell Phone Plans - Pay As You Go and Prepaid | Virgin Mobile

The Optimus V is on sale currently at Target for $129 and a $20 gift card. Or, $149 is the regular price at Virgin Mobile, Radio Shack, Best Buy and some Walmarts.

Most reactions