What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q: Can I read ebrary books on the iPad

lharriman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My library subscribes to ebrary, a huge collection of e-books. In order to read them on a regular computer, I had to download the ebrary reader. Does anyone know if I can read these books in a similar format on the iPad 2?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Never heard of ebrary.

But, a Google search reveals this from the ebrary knowledge base:

Q: Does ebrary work on a smart phone, iPhone, iPad?

A: "ebrary books can be read using QuickView on nearly any device that runs a browser – this includes smart phones, iPhones, and iPads. As usual though, the faster the device and the bigger the screen, the better. Using ebrary on a phone is not very practical because of the small screen size.

ebrary does not offer a special app or operating system for these devices, ebrary uses a standard browser.

Please note that currently ebrary books must be read online; they cannot be downloaded as pdf’s for offline reading. This is due to copyright/legal arrangements ebrary has with publishers."

Have you tried to access the books/web site via Safari or any of the other web browsing apps?

Other than that, I got nothing. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
L

lharriman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the response. I was hoping for more, but it looks like the Quick View they provide is all there is for now. Of course, it also looks like there are going to be some developments in library use of e-books in the future, so who knows?

Take care,
- Lucas

surjit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ebrary ebook on IPAD/IPHONE

You can download an ebrary document directly from an iPad using just a browser, but you’ll need an app such as BlueFire to view the downloaded e-book, and you’ll need to have done the first two steps before downloading.
First, create an Adobe ID (this can be done from a separate computer):
  1. Go to ADOBE Click “Create an accountâ€
  2. Fill in at least the starred fields…
  3. Click “OKâ€
Second, install BlueFire on the iPad
  1. Go to the App Store on your iPad
  2. Search for “BlueFire Reader“
  3. Download it to your iPad
Third, download an ebrary document via browser access to ebrary on an iPad:
  1. Go to your usual ebrary site
  2. Sign in to your ebrary bookshelf account
  3. Search for the document you want to download
  4. Click on its cover or title to open it in QuickView
  5. Click on the green “Download†button
  6. Select the option to download the entire book
  7. Follow the prompts, including signing in to your Adobe ID
Your downloaded e-book will then be available in your iPad’s BlueFire folder, ready for offline reading, annotating, etc using the BlueFire app

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To meet researchers’ evolving needs, ebrary has developed a new app for the iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod touch®. AVAILBLE ON APPLE STORE, the free app provides an optimized way to experience authoritative content—both online and offline—from multiple sources.
With ebrary’s app, researchers can access content on the ebrary platform, including their institution’s e-books from leading Publishers and documents uploaded by librarians with DASH (Data Sharing, Fast). Additionally, researchers can import their own personal research—outside of the ebrary platform—through the app itself!
Key features and benefits include:
  • Freely available with any ebrary Product for libraries
  • Online and offline reading
  • Seamless downloading of full titles
  • Simple and advanced search
  • Multiple navigation controls
  • Table of contents with relevancy rankings
  • Early check-in of ebrary’s e-books
  • Copy and paste with automatic citation for offline documents
  • User configurable download size warnings
  • Import and use documents from other sources
  • Sign in with Facebook email and password
  • Available in English and Spanish

Tsuma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can download an ebrary document directly from an iPad using just a browser, but you’ll need an app such as BlueFire to view the downloaded e-book...

For technical and scientific titles, this is of little use unless we can annotate. Please add book annotation capabilities.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For technical and scientific titles, this is of little use unless we can annotate. Please add book annotation capabilities.

If you have a request like this, best direct it to whoever is offering the features. On this forum, you've just addressed a bunch of iPad owners who have nothing to do with offering any features.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This download would be for a limited time like 2 weeks normally. I use Overdrive for reading digital books from our digital library and it does not offer annotation. I don't see its value when the book would disappear from your Ipad in two weeks. I don't expect annotations to ever be offered for limited borrowing time from a digital library.

Most reactions

Latest posts