What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free ePub books from public library in ibooks?

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just discovered that I can download recently published books from my public library for free but at the moment I can only read them in Overdrive and i'd prefer to read them in iBooks. Does anyone know if there is a way to move them in to iBooks?

Last edited:

beavery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think there is as it deals with limited time leases. So just like on your computer, you would need Adobe Digital Editions to deal with the terminating leases, Overdrive enables these books to be leased out to our mobile devices.

Ajooba1982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jockscrap said:
I've just discovered that I can download recently published books from my public library for free but at the moment I can only read them in Overdrive and i'd prefer to read them in iBooks. Do anyone know if there is a way to move them in to iBooks?

Yea, there is no way you can do that. Unless you know some hacking stuff.

Midwestgal2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overdrive mp3 vs wma files on ipad

Hi there, I have recently started downloading e-books on my ipad, but I am only allowed to do this with mp3 files in Overdrive. When I try to download wma files ( Much bigger selection of books in that format), the pop up states that it cannot be downloaded. Library is not a big help, but the Overdrive manual states Windows XP or media player must also be downloaded. Any advice? Thanks in advance, I'm not a tech expert, so sorry if this is an elemntary question.

nicky_r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.divaswithscents.com
Midwestgal2 said:
Hi there, I have recently started downloading e-books on my ipad, but I am only allowed to do this with mp3 files in Overdrive. When I try to download wma files ( Much bigger selection of books in that format), the pop up states that it cannot be downloaded. Library is not a big help, but the Overdrive manual states Windows XP or media player must also be downloaded. Any advice? Thanks in advance, I'm not a tech expert, so sorry if this is an elemntary question.

Have you tried downloading the ePub Version of your library books, that is what I use in overdrive.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Midwestgal2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, thanks, but the selection of titles is largest in wma format. I also listen to audiobooks because I drive a lot and all audiobooks are in wma. Puzzling!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

According to what I find at Overdrive's web site (here: OverDrive – Device Resource Center - Frequently Asked Questions) - you have to download the wma files to iTunes if - and only if - it's running on a Windows machine.

There's more there about this. Start with the answer to this question (on that web site): Can I transfer OverDrive WMA Audiobooks and OverDrive WMA Music to an Apple® device?

Maybe there's more help there. Sorry I can't help more - but I use epub/PDF/mobi text files, not audiobooks.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Most reactions