What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchase apps with a 2nd apple ID but unable to use it

eewon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sister wanted to purchase some stuffs on the app so she created a new apple ID.
I change back to my apple ID on the settings while I'm using it, but when my sister tried to change it back, the purchase was gone. The apple ID logged in was hers but the apps are under mine(i could tell when im trying to update my apps)
I downloaded the app and she made purchases in the app, technically its still considered under mine? Is that why?

What's going on and how can my sister can back her purchases on the app??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What settings, where?

In order to switch back and forth between accounts, for purchases and updates, you need to sign into the right account in the App Store app (or other iStore app if applicable). You do that in the store's app (and nowhere else).

At the bottom of the first tab, usually the Feature tab, you will see your Apple ID (or hers, or Sign In). You tap this and sign out of your account, then tap it again and sign in with her account. Once you do that everything under the purchased tab should be hers.

If this is not the case, chance are she actually purchased the items under your account and you own them; which is only fair since you will have paid for them too.

The Apple ID setting in Settings > Store is for auto-downloads and subscriptions. It does not affect the purchase or update of apps; or music, movies, TV Shows, iBooks, etc.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What settings, where?

In order to switch back and forth between accounts, for purchases and updates, you need to sign into the right account in the App Store app (or other iStore app if applicable). You do that in the store's app (and nowhere else).

At the bottom of the first tab, usually the Feature tab, you will see your Apple ID (or hers, or Sign In). You tap this and sign out of your account, then tap it again and sign in with her account. Once you do that everything under the purchased tab should be hers.

If this is not the case, chance are she actually purchased the items under your account and you own them; which is only fair since you will have paid for them too.

The Apple ID setting in Settings > Store is for auto-downloads and subscriptions. It does not affect the purchase or update of apps; or music, movies, TV Shows, iBooks, etc.

Remember that the iPad is not like a PC where you can have multiple user accounts and save data separately among different Apple id's.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Remember that the iPad is not like a PC where you can have multiple user accounts and save data separately among different Apple id's.

I assumed (maybe not a good idea) that they were looking in the App Store.

If they are looking at the apps on the iPad itself, then you are correct. All downloaded apps will appear no matter what Apple ID you are logged in with. It's a one user device, in the sense that you can not have different setups or user logins for the device itself.

Thanks for catching that.

Most reactions

Latest posts