What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Wifi Issues

ruready

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32 g WIFI IPAD 2, I am able to connect via Wifi at home just fine. I am even able to connect on someone else's wifi in my building even though it shows as two bars as signal it seems to be just fine as well. But if I am in public like a park or public space where they have wifi I have so much trouble connecting even when it shows it has 3 bars? And when it does connect the connection can be really slow, am I doing something wrong is this a known issue, do I have to be really close to the access point or is there a lag because so many people are using the connection at once?

theapcoach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theapcoach.co.uk
While sjleworthy makes a fair point. There are other factors which could obstruct the strength of the signal.

For example if the wifi is near civic buildings in a city centre, the type of stone they were constructed with can block or interfere with or obstruct the signal.

So where ever you chose to sit down and use public wifi the strength of the signal will always be affected by whatever material it encounters in its path to where you are seated.

The technology was only developed for short distances so even in a public place you will have to be located fairly near the source of the signal to get a good reception.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also public WiFi gets hammered with bandwidth, if you're in a place that has a ton of people sharing the WiFi, it's gonna slow down. Probably not your iPad, but the amount of people sharing. :)

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also public WiFi gets hammered with bandwidth, if you're in a place that has a ton of people sharing the WiFi, it's gonna slow down. Probably not your iPad, but the amount of people sharing. :)

Same thing can happen in a coffee shop setting if lot of other customers are there utilizing the free wifi. It's all about sharing band width in the wifi world.

Most reactions