What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

public library book downloads possible?

hollyro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi- Im new to using the ipad- and am wondering if you can download books from the library on the ipad 2 like you can on most readers? If so- how do you do it- i cant figure it out?

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, you need to download Overdrive. That's the app that will allow you to locate your library and search what books they have available. You will need your library card to log in. I have downloaded a few books and it works fine. I can't however seem to bring up a dictionary function in that program. Not sure if anyone else knows how to do that.

The other book choices seem to be:
iBooks
Free Books
Google Books
Kindle
Kobo

Vickie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have a question regarding the download procedure for books from the library. I have Overdrive as an app but when I click download the app go on as if it's loading but immediately closes with no book. Any ideas?

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't forget nook, bluefire, or wattpad. And free classics apps are available. The only trouble I have with Overdrive is when I have to sign in again, when I think I'm already signed in.

Terryj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Library

I have overdrive and love it. Since I downloaded it, which took about 10 or 15 mins, it has worked great! I have about 8 books in my wish list and some are o hold and others are waiting to be downloaded. You can only download 4 books maximum and keep them for up to 14 days. I just have to be sure I juggle the timing so I don't have too many at one time. They can't be renewed like at my library but it's better than paying for books thar I want to read but not own.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also have down loaded overdrive.library in Melbourne australia.
Followed all the instructions to the letter.
Easy and very successful.
Have been borrowing happily over seas now for the last three months
Love it

Most reactions