What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Process for Apple trade in...

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I received an email from Apple offering me up to $200 for my iPad 2 if I trade in for a newer model. I am considering an iPad Air. I've got my important things (photos) saved to the cloud. Is there anything else I should do to prepare to trade up?? When I get a new device will all my pics just come back when the cloud connects? The thought of the whole procedure is a bit intimidating but my iPad 2 is in pristine condition but seems slower than ever so I am seriously considering the trade up to get my speed back. My charging cord looks a bit dismal...I don't know how much they care about that though but I could totally see them only offering $150. Last week I was in Apple store I asked a "genius" about the email I received. He said if iPad looks NEW they're offering $150. I do think it's disappointing that apple sends out a figure of $200 in the email but the stores won't offer that!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use the latest backup when setting up your new device, it will look exactly the same as your iPad 2 did when the backup was made. It'll need some time, depending on your content, to get everything onto the new device with iCloud, though - a few hours, if you have some music files e.g.

Before you give away your iPad 2, disable "Find my iPad" in iCloud and erase all content and settings. That should be all you need to do.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow so using backup will restore all current apps too? But probably only if I have them turned on to backup right? It's actually a good time to get rid of apps I no longer use. Thanks for info about "find my iPad". I wouldn't have considered that! Very helpful, thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The apps will be there. If you didn't select them for the backup, their content won't be there, or you'll have to login if they're online storage such as Dropbox,... The apps/app icons will be exactly at the same place where you had them on your "old" device.

Also the settings you currently use on your 2 will be the same on your new device afterwards, afaik.
Here's what iCloud backs up: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One more question. I'm going to apple today. I've backed up, I've disabled find my iPad. Once I get the new device what do I do??

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks so much ! Everything backed up very smoothly except for my calculator but that's ok, I just got another one ! Thanks again!

Most reactions