What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with charging ipad...

starbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I plug in my iPad it usually turns on then I shut it off and it charges all night. Now I plug it in and it does not turn on and it does not charge. I have tried several different outlets, but none of them work. Does anyone know how to fix this problem for me before my battery is completely dead? Thank you!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to assume you are using the same charger and cord you've used in the past? And, that you've tried a different charger and/or a different cord, along with trying different outlets?

Given those two assumptions, there's not much we can advise, given that you're describing what appears to be a hardware fault. You can try the two "stand bys" for when the iPad is acting weird, restart and reset (or both). To do:

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Oh, and have you tried to see if it charges with your computer? <--- Yeah, it'll say it's not charging, but there is a tiny trickle charge when the iPad is connected to a computer and, if you don't use it, it will charge, albeit v-e-r-y slowly.

Other than that, it sounds as if you need to take it to the Geniuses at the Apple Store and have them physically look at it. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
starbie

starbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the original charger that comes with the iPad. And yes I tried different outlets. I will try the resets tonight when I go to charge. Plus I just noticed my battery is staying at 96%

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
starbie said:
I am using the original charger that comes with the iPad. And yes I tried different outlets. I will try the resets tonight when I go to charge. Plus I just noticed my battery is staying at 96%

This is just speculation as what I'm about to type doesn't account for why your iPad isn't being charged but apple do recommend that you perform a battery cycle (totally drain, totally fill) once every month in order to keep the battery %age calibrated. Probably not much help but it might be an explanation as to why your %age is stuck at 96.

Sent via iPF from my iPad.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
so when i get my ipad 2 after its fully charged i just use it till it's drained?? then recharge it. i do this with my cell phone&playstation 3 contoller anyways let it totaly drain then i will recharge it when its dead.
but most of the newer batterys dont need to be drained because they dont have a memory like the old NiCad did .. what kind of battery is in the ipad 2

OP
starbie

starbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just plug it in every night, I never wait until the battery is dead. I figured for the price I payed for this sucker the battery could be charged at anytime!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
so when i get my ipad 2 after its fully charged i just use it till it's drained?? then recharge it. i do this with my cell phone&playstation 3 contoller anyways let it totaly drain then i will recharge it when its dead.
but most of the newer batterys dont need to be drained because they dont have a memory like the old NiCad did .. what kind of battery is in the ipad 2

Apple recommends you do it once a month, but it has nothing to do with battery life. It's just a way for the battery percentage indicator to recalibrate. And it is not so much the draining part they are after, but the uninterrupted recharge from near zero to 100%.

I doubt this has anything to do with your problem. That sounds like your charger of cord have gone bad. While most computers don't do a good job of charging the iPad, if you shut it off and connect to a computer port it should recharge, though very slowly. This will at least let you keep if from dying until you can do something about the charger.

Your iPad 2 is still under hardware warrantee, and I think the charger is included with that. You may be able to get a replacement for free (the charger, that is).

OP
starbie

starbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I powered down my iPad 1 and then I held the round button and hit the power button. Now the battery is draining normally. I will let it drain and try to recharge it then. Thank you so much for all of this info! I truly appreciate it!

OP
starbie

starbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I let the battery get really low last night then I plugged it in. It charged great. But I have one last question. do I wait to plug it in when it says battery is low plug it in, or must I wait until it is completely drained? Thanks for all of the help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
starbie said:
Ok, I let the battery get really low last night then I plugged it in. It charged great. But I have one last question. do I wait to plug it in when it says battery is low plug it in, or must I wait until it is completely drained? Thanks for all of the help!

I usually let it shut itself down, but I believe 5% is low enough.

Here is Apple's page. You can find what little they say near the bottom.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

You know, I always get it backwards. It's charge to 100% then let it run down (doesn't say you need to do it in one session either). Sorry. :eek:

OP
starbie

starbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked... Holding down the round button and turning off the original iPad will make the battery work again. I wore the battery out last nite and plugged it in to charge and it worked perfectly. This Morning it was 100% charged. Tysm everyone who posted their ideas here.

Most reactions

Latest posts