What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

printing to bluetooth printer?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
we have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8725, with bluetooth. with this printer on and BT enabled on both devices I can't see the printer on this ipad. is something else required?

thank you

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, the printer must support AirPrint. Since yours apparently doesn't, you'll need to print via an app. One of the HP apps in the App Store should work for you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
we have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8725, with bluetooth. with this printer on and BT enabled on both devices I can't see the printer on this ipad. is something else required?

Hello Padcatt - here is a link to an HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 (8725 is not listed, possibly being a non-USA model offered elsewhere?) - first, to print wirelessly, you have to setup the printer on a Wi-Fi network (Bluetooth is not what is needed for this purpose); second, from the specs in the link, the HP printer seems to be AirPrint compatible (see pic below) - also, you can get help from HP in setting up the printer if still having problems. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 12.42.44 PM.png

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, and this is apparently not the case here, the wireless router must support AirPrint via Apple Bonjour service. Our Xfinity router doesn’t support Bonjour so when I want to print from this iPad Air 2 or my iPhone 7+, I have to manually turn on the printer first then send the job to the printer which is AirPrint compliant.

Wing rider

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, no. I’ve only had this router and Xfinity for a year and I don’t know for a fact that their new ones, if they even have a new one, are any different. Most of the printing is done by my wife and her Windows 10 Laptop prints perfectly via Bluetooth as does my Ubuntu desktop. When I need to print from this iPad Air 2 I just get up and bring the printer out of standby then send it the print job. Could be worse.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got a little more familiar with airprint, and the ipad does see the hp...my stepdaughter printed to the same printer from her iphone without issue, so I think it’s just me needing to learn more about how things are done in iOS.

thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts