What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Print to pdf, app or bookmarklet

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Safari was the first one to introduce print to pdf option on macs. I wonder why this feature is not available on iOS (which I desperately need)

I wonder, if anyone is aware of any print to pdf app or bookmarket like Print friendly that can be used to print to pdf on iPads.

Many thanks in advance.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=72353

One of the bookmarklets listed is for creating PDFs out of web pages. Then, once you have the PDF, you can elect to use Safari's "Open In..." feature to open it in another app. Depending on which app you select, you'll be able to e-mail the PDF or print it (of course, that's if you have an AirPlay computer).

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
F

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It says, Page not found !!

And I tried 3 different websites.

Update - There is a space between ht-tp. This space was the problem. I fixed it. Could you please fix it in the post?

Thanks.

(I don't know how many times, I am going to thank you for your help but I truly appreciate all help.)

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad it helped.

I went to fix the JavaScript and I didn't find a space between 'ht' and 'tp'. I then copied the JavaScript as shown in the post, made a bookmarklet and it worked fine.

So, can you tell me exactly where the space is? Cause I can't find it...

Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
F

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not too sure if its Chrome issue. I have attached a screenshot.

PDF.png

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Safari was the first one to introduce print to pdf option on macs. I wonder why this feature is not available on iOS (which I desperately need)

I wonder, if anyone is aware of any print to pdf app or bookmarket like Print friendly that can be used to print to pdf on iPads.

Many thanks in advance.

Can I do this on Mac via safari??

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can I do this on Mac via safari??

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

It's always worked on my iMac. Well, before .The site seems to be down at the moment. Neither the iPad nor the iMac works at the moment. I just get a blank page.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It's always worked on my iMac. Well, before .The site seems to be down at the moment. Neither the iPad nor the iMac works at the moment. I just get a blank page.

Hmmmm... I've been looking for an app to replace my primo PDF printer for windows.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmmmm... I've been looking for an app to replace my primo PDF printer for windows.

If you need a web page to PDF app (and a bit more), then Readdle's PDF Converter might work for you. It doesn't do much more for web pages than the bookmarklet will, but it does have a few other tricks, including giving you a way to PDF an email.

OP
F

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@tlbaker,
It ALWAYS worked on mac, print as PDF option in print dialog.
If you are on Windows, I prefer Bullzip PDF printer or Print Friendly bookmarlet. I have tried a tons and found these to be the best.

@Mickey330,
Any idea where the generated pdf is stored on iPad?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Mickey330: Any idea where the generated pdf is stored on iPad?

it's not until/unless you choose to use Safari's "Open In..." function. The bookmarklet, when pressed/activated in Safari, will open a new Safari tab. That new tab will be the PDF (if you look at the tail end of the URL address, it'll be .pdf). it's all still on the web until you open it in another app. In other words, once you make the PDF, if you don't open it in another app (to read, e-mail, whatever), it will be gone once you close Safari (well, it]f you clear cookies, too).

The iPad is app-centric, not file-centric. So, what is done in one app has to be saved to another (via the "Open In..." function). it's not a thing as with computers in that you can elect to save the PDF in a central file system.

Hope I didn't muddy up the waters too much and that it's a bit more clarified. :)

Marilyn

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you need a web page to PDF app (and a bit more), then Readdle's PDF Converter might work for you. It doesn't do much more for web pages than the bookmarklet will, but it does have a few other tricks, including giving you a way to PDF an email.

Cool!!! Thanks, Twerp!!

Most reactions

Latest posts