What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Portable charger

KevTN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone using a protable charger with their new iPad. I use my tablet to keep my daughters softball teams stats there are days when we are at the ballpark for 12-14hrs.

Thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do you mean by portable charger? Do you mean one with a battery inside that you charge up and take with you?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get an external battery. Mine is 54000ma and can charge the iPad from flat several times it would easily carry you through a weekend tournament. Not expensive either.

(edit. Dropped a zero)

Last edited:
OP
K

KevTN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess my terminology was wrong...external battery. So the 54000ma will charge the iPad 3? I wasn't sure of what ma's I needed. I have 3600(?) I use for my phone but it wasn't strong enough for the pad.

Thanks

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get an external battery. Mine is 5400ma and can charge the iPad from flat several times it would easily carry you through a weekend tournament. Not expensive either.

Eh? The battery in the iPad3 is twice that capacity.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to ensure that an extennal battery can output at least 10 W @ 2.1 A current. Then you need to ensure that it has sufficient amp-hours, depending on how much of a recharge you want. If I recall correctly, the new iPad has a 42 Watt Hour battery (I'd have to look this up), so to get at least a full recharge, you need that much or more, preferably more, since the efficiency is typically less than 100%. So you need a 42WH battery or more to fully recharge. But even if you had less, you can still get some recharge in to extend the time you can work on the iPad. If you have 54000 mAH and it outputs at least 2.1A, then I would say you should be good for several recharges. If it provides less current than 2.1A, then the charging will probably be too slow to be useful. And if you are outside and have the screen turned up to 100% brightness, then you may have trouble charging it altogether, depending on what else you are doing. You probably want to have your ipad plugged into the battery as much as possible rather than letting it run down, because if you run it down it will take longer to recharge it.

What external battery do you have? For a full recharge, you will need an external battery which provides about 11350 mAH or more. But even with a 5000 mAH external battery, you can get half a charge (assuming it can deliever 2.1A), so you may not need to replace your external battery.

Last edited:

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're right, the iPad3 battery is 42Wh and I believe it operates at 3.7v, so that equates to just 11351mAh. The biggest external battery I could find from a quick search was rated at 11000mAh and even their own stats said it would only achieve a 70% charge of an iPad 3, obviously due to losses in the charging process.

I don't think there's anything out there which could provide an iPad 3 with even a single full charge, let alone multiples.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get an external battery. Mine is 54000ma and can charge the iPad from flat several times it would easily carry you through a weekend tournament. Not expensive either.

(edit. Dropped a zero)

54 000 mA = 54 Amps
54 Amps at 3.7 Volts = 200 W approx

I'm hoping you meant 54 000 mAh. Assuming you did, could you provide a link.
The OP is asking for an external battery, and you told him to get one. It would be more helpful to tell him which one you got.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, if you don't mind looking a bit conspicuous, you could lug one of those car jumpstart packs. Some have USB ports that will probably work. Most have cigaret lighter ports that would work with almost any iPad car charger solution.

Cheaper (depending on model) than the pretty solutions, and longer lasting than all but the most expensive solutions.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:

(edit. Dropped a zero)

Can you provide a link, please?

henkz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

While I was looking for a portable charger I created a list so that I give back to the community. Check it out [Please do not post any external links!] I hope it is of help to anyone.

Regards,

Henk.

Hello Henk, I am Matt, a forum moderator. Please read our forum rules regarding posting external links. See #13. If you want to participate in the conversation, type your opinion in the thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...e/2171-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

I had posted a link to a product offered by Zagg. The difference is Zagg is a supporting vendor and the link to that specific product continues the conversation and doesn't cause our forum members to go outside of this forum. I hope you understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts