What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plex App update causes app to dissapear

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last week there was an update for Plex and it never finished. I left it alone for a while and then noticed the update was gone as well as the app itself. It's no where on the screen.
I went to updates again and searched for Plex and it shows it already installed and if I press the 'open' button, nothing happens.
I can't uninstall it in order to reinstall it. Itunes doesn't see it either.
How can I remove something or reinstall it if it doesn't do anything.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
<I obviously mispelled 'disappear'>

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you try to restart or reset (press Home and power button until the Apple logo appears) your iPad?

Maybe you'll find the app in Settings - General - Usage - Storage. If so, delete it there, then install it again.

OP
Beerman

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you try to restart or reset (press Home and power button until the Apple logo appears) your iPad?

Maybe you'll find the app in Settings - General - Usage - Storage. If so, delete it there, then install it again.
Thanks for the idea, never thought of that. I did turn it off and now it shows 'no data' next to the Plex icon but when I go to install it again, the same thing happens.....it wants me to open the app but pressing open does nothing and there is still no app showing.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, never thought of that. I did turn it off and now it shows 'no data' next to the Plex icon but when I go to install it again, the same thing happens.....it wants me to open the app but pressing open does nothing and there is still no app showing.
Did you try to delete it in Settings before opening?

OP
Beerman

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes. Now under Usage, it shows it off Plex is set to off but it won't delete it in the Storage screen. It shows up nowhere else on the Ipad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to make sure:
What does it look like - if it looks like this:
image.jpg

it's in Settings - General - Usage - Mange Storage and belongs to an iCloud backup.

If it's like this:
image.jpg

then it's in settings - General - Usage - Storage. When you tap it, you should be able to delete it:
image.jpg

The reset I suggested in my first reply won't remove any settings or data.

OP
Beerman

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What a dumb-arse I am. I see that storage takes a few seconds to load all the apps and I went right to 'maintain storage' and it was indeed the icloud backup I kept looking at.
So, I was able to delete the Plex app and reinstall it.
Yea......a huge thanks for not giving up on an idiot!

Most reactions

Latest posts