What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing Movies on IPAD with SD Card connection kit

IpadGeekTron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success in using the camera connection kit and playing movies or music directly from SD card?
I know u can view pictures that are on SD card, but was wondering if u could also view movies and music stored on the cards?

Nathanael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll add my voice to this query, and broaden it somewhat.

I just purchased a camera connector kit, and am a bit confused. If I plug an SD card in with the sd card kit, nothing obvious seems to happen. Ditto with plugging in any other external USB device I've tried.

What's the camera connector kit good for?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Photo and video files on an sd card need to be named to resemble how a camera would name the files and must not be more than 8 digits long eg DSCF0001 and so forth. You can also plug your camera with cable into the CCK for direct download from the camera. I have heard that a USB may also be used but a DCIM folder needs to be created first and your photos put into this before uploading. Hope this works for you all. Let us know please.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

stigs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pictures download but video not seen. Seems one has to covert mp4 Files to mpeg for iPad to see? Is there a free converter available to download?

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pictures download but video not seen. Seems one has to covert mp4 Files to mpeg for iPad to see? Is there a free converter available to download?
Welcome to the forum. These are the media types that are supported on the iPad's native Video App:

H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.

There are other apps available that are capable of playing other file types. Doing a quick search will turn up a number of discussions.

The most popular transcoding application is Handbrake (free). There are numerous other applications that do similar work...use the Google search field in the upper right-hand corner of this page.

Last edited:

Tweetyfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a .avi video from a camera that is in my sync photo folder with iPad and it does not show up in my photos or video app. Is there anyway to transfer this video to my iPad. I have read the user guide and these forums and do not understand how to get it on my iPad. Any help is appreciated.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a .avi video from a camera that is in my sync photo folder with iPad and it does not show up in my photos or video app. Is there anyway to transfer this video to my iPad. I have read the user guide and these forums and do not understand how to get it on my iPad. Any help is appreciated.
You'll either need to convert the file to a format that the native iPad Video App can play or buy an app that can play .avi files like OPlayer.

A couple of quick Google searches (top-right of every page) turned up a list of threads discussing this already...

.avi file - Google Search file

.avi file conversion - Google Search

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts