What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play .wmv files?

apxf8888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you need a converter, ipad not support wmv. I can use iskysoft software or foxreal video converter

jerryrogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ditto!

what i am looking forward to is the day i can play an email attachment that is a .wmv file on the ipad without a special app.

Right now, that problem and the flash issue are the only things limiting the ipad for me.

:(. Ditto !

jeffsharp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake is the best conversion program by far -- converting still take time though... tried VLC keeps crashing on my iPad -- it just freezes... using Azul Media Player now and it is working most of the time.... Hold your attachment down in your email for 2 seconds and you get a popup "Open in Azul" and it launches with the WMV file playing...

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So no .wmv files either? I guess Apple decided we don't need to view those. Hope you got your problem solved.

unixinfoservice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I expected my preference in this faceoff to be pretty narrow, since these apps are so close in so many ways. StreamToMe is easier to use, and the portrait-mode abutment is a lot added advantageous than one ability think. Unfortunately, the quality hiccups I experienced with .mp4 files make me uneasy about it.

Bevin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there going to be anyway you can stream .WMV files on the Ipad in the future?:(
I am use foxreal video converter to convert wmv files to mp4 that ipad compatible format.

ctitanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ultramobilepc-tips.com
Excuse me. I know that you are trying to sell your product here but converting is a waste of time and energy taking in consideration that there are free tools/players like xyplayer2 lite that can play that format without conversion.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you can, oplayer can play .avi files as can cinexplayer, my preference is avplayer HD very good!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey guys can i play avi files on my i pad?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the search box (in the toolbar at the top right-hand side of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum.

With respect to your question, it's already been asked and answered a number of times...remember search is your friend. :) Here are a couple of the many threads on the subject...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...hout-jailbreaking-cinexplayer-discussion.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/4725-playing-avi-ipad.html

Welcome again and enjoy!

babyboyhealthy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
usually i stream video to ipad by itunes, why both itunes and ipad can not support wmv format

therefore, Converting WMV to iTunes supported format will be a preferred solution for successfully adding WMV to iTunes/iPad/iPhone/iPod

The following article just aims to introduce a step by step guide on how to convert WMV files to iTunes supported format at How to Convert and Import WMV to iTunes?

This guide helps:

• Convert WMV to iTunes supported video format like MP4, MOV, M4V and etc
  • Convert WMV video to iTunes compatible audio format including MP3, M4A, AIFF, AAC, or WAV
  • Add and import WMV files to iTunes for Windows or iTunes for Mac
  • Play WMV in iTunes or Sync WMV from iTunes to iPod, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV
  • Convert other video formats like AVI, WTV, MPG, MKV, FLV, F4V, 3GP and etc to iTunes video or audio format
  • Convert various audio formats including WMA, FLAC, OGG, APE, CUE, CAF and more to iTunes audio format

Most reactions