What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

play apps while listening to ipod

altarboy165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason, if i'm listening to my Ipad music and go to an app like freecell, the music goes off. If i do the same thing on my Itouch, the music keeps playing. Is this a problem on the Ipad? I would think I could listen to music and play apps at the same time. HELP..........

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad should be able to do this. It's called "multi-tasking" and was available in the iOS 4 update. I'm assuming you have iPad 1, and are running on the original software that it came with?

I'm not familiar with "free cell", but it's possible that some apps won't let you listen to tunes at the same time. Do all your apps cut the sound out?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The iOS does not have true multitasking. Only certain features of apps can stay active in the background, such as iPod music. But this requires that the currently active app is not using audio. Many games include their own music, so it cuts of the background music, as iOS only allows one active audio source at the time.

You will notice, that the iPod app also stops playing, when opening the Youtube app, or even Skype.

Anyway, what this means for the user is, that it is not possible to have the iPod app running in the background during games, unless the game supports this. If freecell doesn't have an option for this under its settings, then there is little you can do to prevent this. A jailbreak with Backgrounder might be a workaround. though only for iPad 1.

OP
A

altarboy165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I changed the freecell app to a different version, and now it seems to work fine.
Thanks again.:)

Most reactions