What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos emailed to pc are HUGE!!!

alnsue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I emailed a photo from my iPad to my pc and it was too large to view. Can it be resized before sending? Can it be sent as a attachment so I can save it to hard drive? Thanks.
alnsue

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Alnsue - welcome to the forum! :)

First, where did you obtain this photo on your iPad? I'm assuming either a download, an email attachment, or loaded from your digital camera via the Apple CCK (camera connection kit) - the iPad cameras are of such poor resolution that the image file would not be that large!

I'm not sure which iOS you're currently have on your iPad, but you may need a third party app that will enable you to crop & resize your iPad images - I use Photogene (check HERE) - there are certainly other possibilities but this has worked for me - good luck in your choice(s) - :)

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's come from any reasonably modern (within the last 3 years or so) camera it will probably be at least 4000 x 2600 pixels. When you see it on the iPad screen it's shrunk to fit. You can do exactly the same thing on your PC with plenty of free software. You could even open the image in a web browser that is set to scale images to the screen size.
Personally I'd rather email the full size image to the PC and then do the scaling on the PC, you will probably end up with a better result.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi K1W1 - I don't disagree w/ sending huge files to your PC to manipulate - the programs are just more powerful w/ plenty of options to use.

However, another consideration is sending 'huge' image files to others' devices; bandwidths, data plans, etc. can be a pain to those receiving images attached to emails - one example for me was a friend who use to send a dozen or more images from high school luncheons; the images were never cropped or downsized, so multi-GB on data arrived which usually 'closed down' my work mailbox w/ a daemon warning - UGHH!

Another consideration are data plans w/ a strict limit which will really charge when that amount is exceeded, especially if one may be 'roaming' in another country; there was just an excellent article in USA Today on this topic - one story mentioned was of a USA citizen traveling in Spain who was sent an email w/ a LARGE single image - the extra cost for him was $55 just for that one message!

So, just some other considerations regarding 'where' to crop & downsize images - may depend on specific circumstances - :)

Last edited:
OP
A

alnsue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thx for your replies. Let me preface this by saying I am not very computer savvy, so the simpler the better for me. The pics were taken with a Sony Cyber-shot, about one yr old and transferred to the iPad using a cck. They were then synced to my pc where they showed up in my pictures in a folder called ipod photo cache. When I clicked on that several different files appeared and When I clicked on a file I got something like this: T149.ithmb, 1025kb which couldn't be opened by windows because it didn't know the program that created it, which led to someone trying to sell me something. That's when I decided to try to email them to myself and had the trouble with the sizing. What I'm really trying to do is upload the photos to a website that evidently is not apple compatible, otherwise I could sent them right from the iPad. But even if the sizing was not a problem, the pics are not in an attachment so how can I get them downloaded to my pictures so I can upload them to this website???? Sorry for the rambling on and on. Did this make any sense at all?? Thanks again for any help you can offer.
Alnsue

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Alnsue - yep that 'photo cache' can be a real pain (plenty of posts complaining about problems w/ it!).

Does your Sony Cybershot use their proprietary memory stick and/or an SD card to store the images? My preference when I want to download my images off my digital cameras (own a Canon & a Panasonic), both using SD cards is to simply remove the memory card and insert into the SD slot of my VISTA laptop; then use Windows Explorer to bring up the images on the card to transfer into my 'Pictures' on the hard drive; of course, a USB connection to your camera and computer can be used - not sure if you have a Windows or a MAC computer?

But my point is that you should be able to simply transfer the images to whatever type of computer you own, manipulate then (e.g. cropping & downsizing as desired for uploading to a website or sending by email) w/ the software available on that computer, and then do what you want while still maintaining the larger images for further adjustments. If you have a Windows computer, a 'free' imaging program that I've used for years is called Irfanview (click on the name to go to their website) - this makes for easy cropping and resizing. But regardless of the computer you own, you should already have some software to do these simple imaging changes.

Let us know if this is of any help; if not, please post more questions. Good luck - :)

OP
A

alnsue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, knowing what I know now, that is exactly what I should have done and what I have done before getting this iPad. Unfortunately, when I transferred the photos to the iPad I also deleted them from the SD card :(
I guess I didn't realize opening them on the pc after syncing would be a problem. I tend to learn this stuff the hard way. Thanks.
Alnsue

Most reactions

Latest posts