What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Metadata / EXIF Data

Twiddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why this information is being blocked on the iPad? There were several programs that used to allow you to view the data for your iPhone camera (although that seems pointless since the iPhone is a point and shoot camera).

Took almost an hour to find programs that allow you to "edit" this data (they don't, they allow you to tag a photo with other info). I don't want to edit, I want to see my shutter speed, aperture, Iso, etc for the photos I have uploaded from my camera to my iPad.

Only program that works also informed me that Apples SDK is prohibiting this information from being accessed on the iPad and has tried to work around the SDK with an online option. I am a wildlife photographer I can't always get online so it doesn't work me.

I know the metadata is present because when I upload to aperture at home the data is in the photo, of course by then, it's far to late to make any changes based on the information.........:mad:

OP
T

Twiddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nobody here knows or can at least hint at how long before Apples version of some photo program hits that allows you to see this data?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Due to the limited storage and memory, I believe Apple never envisioned the uses users and app developers have found for it.
Certainly the basic photo app points to them seeing the iPad as just a simple photo viewing device.

Good and all as Filterstorm and Photogene are, Lightroom and Aperture on a large monitor with 4+gb of ram are better.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I know the metadata is present because when I upload to aperture at home the data is in the photo, of course by then, it's far to late to make any changes based on the information.........:mad:

So, you upload every single photo directly to the iPad after every single shot? If you are uploading after the card is full, well, by then the lighting is different anyway and the shot will change.

I am a photographer in my off hours (outside the 9-5 job I have) and I shoot on the cards and go back and review the settings on the camera. I dont look at the photos on a large screen until I am done shooting for the day/night.

Get a larger card. Seems to be the easiest solution.

Toemel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there is no excuse not to have access to meta- (exif-) data from our photos on an iPad!
I purchased a 64 GB-iPad with adapters to connect memory cards and cameras. Now I'm highly disappointed that even on a "big" iPad you can't see the titles of your photos, left alone some exif-data (I make the date part of the titles of my photos, so I always know at a glance when they were taken).
There were times when Apple was a reliable partner for professionals from different fields like graphics, typography and photography (Aperture!), but now as we buy that new stuff we have to find out we're not taken for serious any more :-(
Speaking for myself, all those restrictive rules set up by Apple lead me to pick up an 10"-inch Acer netbook which costs me a fraction and lets me see all informations stored on it to my hearts content!

vibramatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a number of ways around the problem. The free metadata ap will display exif but the image is pretty small; I'm shopping for a suitable one myself and this message turned up in my search. I think at prez the best one 'might' be photo info viewer. photosmith looks good but i dont want to pay that much just for the ability to see the data, I dont want to manipulate, I'll do that on my imac in Ps. Capture Pilot might be a choice for you IF your camera is supported. YOu must check this - its a very clever ap if you can use it.

Toemel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers vibramatic! I'll have a look at your suggested apps, and I think I will also give "Sort Shots - iPad Edition" a try, looks promising!
Toemel

Galarina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.galarina.eu
It seems that my PhotoMeta app is also a valid option. It's free and allows you to easily navigate through your iPad photos. It even allows you to see the metadata from photos on the internet.
PhotoMeta also has an in-app purchase if you want to see all the detailed meta data values like e.g. makernotes (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Pentax).

If you'd like to see a feature added to PhotoMeta, use the built-in "Request a feature" button.

Regards,

Chris
Developer
Galarina

Wilson6100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar question. I am searching for an app that allows you to have a slide show on your iPad, and see on the screen (below or somewhere adjacent) the jpg file number of the photo that your camera assigned when you took the shot.

The older program for Mac, iViewmediapro, did an excellent job of this. That program was purchased by Microsoft, and renamed Expressionmedia. It's since been purchased by another company and renamed again.

The feature is great. In my work I shot a lot of photos inspecting building construction, and use the photo file numbers as reference for field notes. Later, having those numbers/names visible on the screen is very helpful when writing reports and reviewing notes.

Anybody know of an app that lets you see slide shows and the photo file name at same time, from photos loaded directly from camera to iPad?

Thanks,
Wilson

Most reactions

Latest posts