What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

kevroc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got mine yesterday. A neat product to be sure, but I'm not certain of the best way to "carry" it with the ipad. It seems very awkward to use as a case, no protection for the back of the ipad or the case unless you buy additional skins for them. But I love the finish on both and would be highly reluctant to cover them with anything.

Taking the iPad out of the case requires a bit of pressure, something you have to really work at to do, unlike a case that just flips open. Also, if you just want to look something up real quick you have an issue of how to hold the ipad and the case together since they aren't attached in any way.

Just a few ramblings on it so far. Looks like it will be very nice to have on business trips when I want to leave the laptop home, but I'd love to find a case that houses both.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kevroc said:
I got mine yesterday. A neat product to be sure, but I'm not certain of the best way to "carry" it with the ipad. It seems very awkward to use as a case, no protection for the back of the ipad or the case unless you buy additional skins for them. But I love the finish on both and would be highly reluctant to cover them with anything.

Taking the iPad out of the case requires a bit of pressure, something you have to really work at to do, unlike a case that just flips open. Also, if you just want to look something up real quick you have an issue of how to hold the ipad and the case together since they aren't attached in any way.

Just a few ramblings on it so far. Looks like it will be very nice to have on business trips when I want to leave the laptop home, but I'd love to find a case that houses both.

Usually what I do is when I leave my house with my iPad, I put the whole iPad/ZaggMate combo into a regular iPad "slip" case to prevent either the ipad or the zaggmate from getting scratched "in transit". If I'm not going to use the ZaggMate at my destination, I just slide the ZaggMate back into the slip case after taking the iPad out of it.

When I'm at home, I leave the ZaggMate on my desk upstairs and just keep the iPad with me in it's "naked" state around the house. Basically, if I ever need to do a lot of typing, I usually go up to my offfice anyway....

At work, I leave the iPad propped up in the ZaggMate at my desk all day for genaral note-taking and information look-up. I also take it to all meetings with me for note-taking. Trust me, you'll get very quick at installing and removing the iPad in and out of the ZaggMate. It's really a non-issue in the long run, as you'll find out.

Have fun - I think you'll find that after a few weeks (or days), you won't be able to do without the ZaggMate!

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to say: What jtrosky said. That's exactly how I treat my iPad/Zaggmate combo - both when I am at home and when I am out and about...

My theory of putting the Zaggmate into the slipcase when I'm not using it - prevents dust from getting on it. Yeah, that's it...:)

Marilyn

streddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I was considering getting the zaggmate with my folio:

booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/booqpad-iPad-2-agenda/booqpad-black-gray-ipad-agenda-black_2

Does anyone have any ideas if it would fit? What is the extra size that the zaggmate adds to the ipad2? In cm/mm if possible.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330, thanks for the reveiw.

I'm also thinking to get one for my new ipad....

From the video, I still need invisibleshield for full body protection, right?

Also, I won't use much keyboard. Is it worth to have the case alone?

Yes, if you want your screen protected while you are using it, or while it's out of the case, you'll want the invisibleshield for the glass. I don't like them, myself, but I should imagine it'll fit and be just fine.

I honestly don't know about the case without the keyboard. I mean, it is an aluminum cover for the front of your iPad, so that's good. I just never considered it as I was immediately wanting the case with the keyboard. I'm sorry I can't be more help...

Marilyn

Excellent review ... thank you very much. I considered this combo ... even called the company ... talked with Moses ... he was ready to back order one for me. I knew I wanted a nice mechanical keyboard ... I opted for the Apple Wireless one ... full size... beautiful keyboard ... can use it also on my Mac Mini. The built-in case is very nice.... great design... I was concerned about being cramped in typing... yes the case edges were reported to get in the way. Thanks for clarifying that for us all.

Personally, I think the Zagg thin film protective layer over the Gorilla Glass is overkill. I can appreciate kids and oops, damn I dropped it. I can live with the glare ... I don't read in the sun anyway. Just more expense, I think it impairs the touch sensitivity, and clarity as well. I don't see how it can add ... just detracts. IMHO. Enjoy y'all. Thanks again Marilyn.

Last edited:

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting - I've found the following "pros" of anti-glare protectors:

1. Less Glare (duh!)
2. Screen is more "slippery" - finger glides across much better
3. Less fingerprints/smudges
4. Screen protection

If you get a GOOD anti-glare protector, they do make an improvement, I believe. If you get a poor anti-glare protector, they do take away from the screen clarity though, which is a huge con in my book.

While you can always install a third party protector to make the iPad "anti-glare", but it's just not the same as having an anti-glare screen from the factory. Can you imagine if all of our LCD computer monitors had a glass screen? They all come with anti-glare screens from the factory. For a mobile device, I think it's even more important. Also, ever try to install a screen protector on the iPad? It can be a VERY frustrating process!! I've already gone through 4 protectors before getting one on right (granted, I like them to be installed perfectly, but still)!

Ha - I just remembered when people used to put "add-on" anti-glare filters over their old CRT computer monitors (with reflective glass screens)...

Last edited:

naga_naga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,I bought a zaggmate with keypad and took it to India. On opening the package, I found that the holding strip near the Zagg/mate plate is partly broken. Pl advise.

I also need advise on connect with iPad. It connected first and now it does not.

Thanks

Naga

Reaction score

I also got a sleeve for mine. A neoprene one from Amazon for $4 but I'm also seeing stuff for ipad1 coming way down in price.
The pressure stays the same to open but in short order you should be able to just pop it open. I can have my Zaggmate open and my iPad setup in it as fast as my wife can flip open her iPad Apple case and set it up.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Catfiend said:
Odd. Their website is saying April 19th now for shipping of all preordered Zaggmates. I wonder if something has gone wrong? Fortunately I have gotten an email about a delay (at least not yet.)

There wasn't a delay! I'm using it right now - though not without a few fumbles. The keys are on the small side but I think I'll get used to it just fine given some time. The keys have pretty decent feel and plenty of throw. The arrow key position is a little odd but I understand why they did it that way and if I accidentally hit where I expect the up arrow to be it's just a shift key so no big deal. I like the full sized shift keys enough to put up with the L instead of the T formation. The dedicated keys are *great*.

Zagg, if you read this, does the keyboard turn itself off when it turns off the iPad or do I need to remember to do it myself?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It goes into sleep automatically after a few minutes of inactivity. I rarely turn mine off with the switch. I just wake it back up by pushing a key a couple times. Of course, the switch is there if you like.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
It goes into sleep automatically after a few minutes of inactivity. I rarely turn mine off with the switch. I just wake it back up by pushing a key a couple times. Of course, the switch is there if you like.

Duh! I remember reading that before but it completely slipped my mind.

Any keyboard mapping to disable caps lock? Not too big a deal to me but I've never figured out why a key that I wouldn't use more than once a day got such a useful place on modern keyboards.

For those still on the fence, it's hard to believe just how light this keyboard/case is. It weighs substantially less than my Bluetooth mouse, pretty close to the same as my corded mouse + cord based just upon feel.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ZAGG said:

Duh! I remember reading that before but it completely slipped my mind.

Any keyboard mapping to disable caps lock? Not too big a deal to me but I've never figured out why a key that I wouldn't use more than once a day got such a useful place on modern keyboards.

For those still on the fence, it's hard to believe just how light this keyboard/case is. It weighs substantially less than my Bluetooth mouse, pretty close to the same as my corded mouse + cord based just upon feel.
I agree completely about the CAPS LOCK key. The only time I ever use it is when I'm shouting at someone and then I wish I hadn't hit the send key. Would be very handy to be able to lock out the caps lock in firmware.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never really thought about it, but you guys are right, I almost NEVER use the CAPS LOCK key...

Although, what would you put in it's place? Everyone is so used to not using that key! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts