What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my thumb. That should make no difference at all. I'm going to email you and see if we can get to the bottom of this. Something seems odd.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EthnicHipster said:
I do have the latest iOS. And yeap, I do the spacebar with my thumb. I'll try to use my index finger from now but having to "slow down" my typing kind of makes my zaggmate useless. It is supposed to help me be more productive.

I agree. I hated the idea of slowing down from my normal 70-80 wpm, But in practice I found I didn't have to slow down too much. Just became a little bit more deliberate with my spacebar hits. BTW I only use the Zagg keyboard when I am mobile. In the office I use the Apple bluetooth keyboard. It is really good, but the Zagg ipad combo makes a better mobile proposition.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
I use my thumb. That should make no difference at all. I'm going to email you and see if we can get to the bottom of this. Something seems odd.

I don't think it is the thumb us per se that is the issue Zagg. I think it is the speed. When I slow down and become more deliberate with my spacebar taps I don't get the problem. A mobile keyboard was never made for high speed typing. For one thing it is slightly too small. Horses for courses...

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. It's safe to say we've sold tens of thousands of units and this is the first I've heard of this particular issue. I'm going to try to get to the bottom of it and keep you all updated. Thanks.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG said:
Interesting. It's safe to say we've sold tens of thousands of units and this is the first I've heard of this particular issue. I'm going to try to get to the bottom of it and keep you all updated. Thanks.

Well if you want to fly someone over to the States for a week or two of intensive user testing Zagg, let me know. I will accept business class and a little spending money :)

EthnicHipster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Zagg for the reply. It's not an issue that renders the zaggmate useless, but it does take a toll on your productivity and enjoyment of the product. Having to go back and check for double spacing between words when you're writing a school or work paper is tedious to say the least. And thanks AlunReynolds for reassuring I'm not imagining this issue!

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want you to try another one for my testing purposes if you don't mind. Please reply to my email so I can get your details.

bauoutdoors

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still not a laptop!

We got a ZAGGmate for Christmas! They are pretty cool, but fall short a bit in use I'd say!

We wrote a review and posted it on our Bau Outdoors site blog.

Maybe better-off with an Apple wireless keyboard!

KenJr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Escape Key

As mentioned in earlier posting, I use my Zaggmate keyboard for both iPad and home computer. Works great with both. There is an issue though:

My escape key works as a home key on my iPad as expected. But .. It doesn't act as an escape key on my home computer .. for instance it won't minimize YouTube displays .. and .. even more disconcerting .. it won't back me out of Excel spreadsheet formula bar or cell formula edits (this is the ESC key's job in Excel).

Question: Is there an alternative classical Esc key function on the Zaggmate keyboard (maybe using one of the function keys for instance)?

Or .. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just use the FN button like the shift button to activate secondary functions such as the F keys and the blue 10-key buttons

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We got a ZAGGmate for Christmas! They are pretty cool, but fall short a bit in use I'd say!

We wrote a review and posted it on our Bau Outdoors site blog.

Maybe better-off with an Apple wireless keyboard!

You have a very nice website and I spent a little time looking at what you have to offer regarding garden accessories. I was a bit intrigued about why a garden furniture provider would comment on technolgy...but if it sells furniture....

Your comment "Maybe better-off with an Apple wireless keyboard!" is such classic British understatement that it almost, not quite, denigrates your actual review. You all spent a lot of time reviewing this Zagg product with pictures etc. that I had to post that link so others can see how much more valuable your actual review was to this ongoing discussion, than what you noted here in this thread.

Zaggmate review from the Bau Outdoors offices

KenJr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never thought to try the Fn-Esc combination. Works great. Thanks!

Why do I use my Zaggmate keyboard with my iMac? Quite frankly, I can type faster, even with my large fingers, using the Zaggmate than I can on any other keyboards I've used. Don't know why. It's a key pressure sensitivity thing I guess. I do though sometimes end up with double spaces between words. Maybe that's the price I pay for having such a sensitive (read fast) keyboard. Still, I wouldn't change a thing on it. I like it .. a lot.

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KenJr said:
Never thought to try the Fn-Esc combination. Works great. Thanks!

Why do I use my Zaggmate keyboard with my iMac? Quite frankly, I can type faster, even with my large fingers, using the Zaggmate than I can on any other keyboards I've used. Don't know why. It's a key pressure sensitivity thing I guess. I do though sometimes end up with double spaces between words. Maybe that's the price I pay for having such a sensitive (read fast) keyboard. Still, I wouldn't change a thing on it. I like it .. a lot.

Zagg take note :)

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the self-promotion, but just in case you wanted to see it on TV or show your friends. Facebook, Twitter, whatever. The ZAGGmate will make an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show today on CBS. It will be on during the section with MC Hammer. Crazy bedfellows, I know, but should be fun.

Most reactions