What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

Markbullen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

After waiting in anticipation, the Zaggmate I ordered three weeks ago finally arrived but I've got a problem with it. Pairing the device with my iPad had no issues, but when I typed a message, some of the keys didnt work, and they all seemed to be in a row.

Eg: the keys that didnt work were A, S, D, F, J, K, L, T, Y, tab, delete, colon, forward slash, brackets [] <-- those ones, F3 and F4.

I've tried restarting my ipad and re-pairing the zaggmate and iPad to no avail.

Does anyone else have the same problem? :confused:

I'm having a similar problem, except it's the top row of letter keys that is the problem Q W E R etc. The problem is intermittent. I phoned support and they told me to re-pair the keyboard which fixed the problem temporarily.

Seems like something is defective with the Bluetooth.

wannaride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Three weeks before need for battery charge

It took one day short of three weeks for the status light to indiicate the need to charge the ZaggMate. I never turn mine off and this seems like great battery life. All my keys work and when I deliberately disconnect bluetooth it re pairs easily.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy but it's worked great for me and has made the Ipad a much more useful device for me.

jo.sta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

After waiting in anticipation, the Zaggmate I ordered three weeks ago finally arrived but I've got a problem with it. Pairing the device with my iPad had no issues, but when I typed a message, some of the keys didnt work, and they all seemed to be in a row.

Eg: the keys that didnt work were A, S, D, F, J, K, L, T, Y, tab, delete, colon, forward slash, brackets [] <-- those ones, F3 and F4.

I've tried restarting my ipad and re-pairing the zaggmate and iPad to no avail.

Does anyone else have the same problem? :confused:

I'm having a similar problem, except it's the top row of letter keys that is the problem Q W E R etc. The problem is intermittent. I phoned support and they told me to re-pair the keyboard which fixed the problem temporarily.

Seems like something is defective with the Bluetooth.

Hey,

Definitely contact Zagg and try to get a replacement because you wouldn't want to keep a product that's already halfway dead. It's such a frustrating problem because some keys work and others don't.

The strange thing for me was that all the keys that didn't work were in some sort of horizontal alignment which leads me to think it was a connection/hardware issue. And because "re-pairing" the Zagg via bluetooth didn't work, there really was no way to fix it.

Good luck with your zaggmate, and I hope you get a new one soon. :)

Wacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not so sold on the Zaggmate, mine arrived and had several key that didnt work, thought it was shipping damage but then noticed glue stains around the keyboard. Very flimsy design, the stand that supports the back of the iPad is very weak looking.
A major design improvement was missed, the keyboard should have been made to reverse and sit on the back of the iPad because there i no place to store it when not in use and the iPad only is used. Far from an ideal device.

EthnicHipster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got mine as a Xmas present from my partner. I thought we were a match made in heaven but things started to go wrong after I noticed the space bar of the keyboard was all but useless. While typing any sentence in Pages, the email app, notes, etc. the keyboard randomly decides to double space between words (ie this is a normal sentence. This is what my keyboard would type). To add even more aggravation, the space bar some times gets stuck. I already contacted their customer support via email and sent the purchase receipt (bought from amazon in December). Hope they live up to their reported excellent customer service and provide me a way to get a replacement. Not sure if I got a lemon or not, but im somewhat disappointed since it is my first zagg product. Have read several forums but apparently no one else has reported this issue with their zaggmate. Will keep people updated. Oh and if the Zagg peeps are reading this, this is Marco and I've been emailing Chris at questions at Zagg.com

Will have to wait till Monday apparently. No response as of yet :(

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wacker said:
I'm not so sold on the Zaggmate, mine arrived and had several key that didnt work, thought it was shipping damage but then noticed glue stains around the keyboard. Very flimsy design, the stand that supports the back of the iPad is very weak looking.
A major design improvement was missed, the keyboard should have been made to reverse and sit on the back of the iPad because there i no place to store it when not in use and the iPad only is used. Far from an ideal device.

Too bad your Zaggmate with Keyboard arrived in such a poor condition, have you contacted Zagg to remedy your problems with your Zaggmate? I think they are anxious to assist anyone with problems with their product. As to what to do with the keyboard when you just use the iPad? I just close the fold up stand and put the iPad face side up onto the keyboard. The iPad rests very easily in the keyboard case.

Rusty Robot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot pair with iPad [error]

I went to pair the keyboard with the iPad via bluetooth, but upon clicking the ZAGGmate under 'devices' I get an error message.

"Pairing Unsuccessful, ZAGGmate is not supported"

What? I just paid $99 for something that doesn't work with the latest iOS? It will pair with my MacBook Pro (not that I bothered adding it, but the MacBook took me to the next step of typing on the keyboard to pair). The iPad doesn't take me to that step. It just keeps giving me the same error. Anybody have any ideas? This is a bit disappointing...

FYI, restarting the iPad doesn't work. Neither does starting the process of pairing over (and over...). I'm up to date with the latest updates from apple too.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wacker said:

Too bad your Zaggmate with Keyboard arrived in such a poor condition, have you contacted Zagg to remedy your problems with your Zaggmate? I think they are anxious to assist anyone with problems with their product. As to what to do with the keyboard when you just use the iPad? I just close the fold up stand and put the iPad face side up onto the keyboard. The iPad rests very easily in the keyboard case.

If you leave the hinge up and then place your iPad (face up) into it, it'll rest quite nicely (the iPad fits down into the case). It won't slip as much, plus you get a nice little bit of a viewing angle.

Marilyn

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rusty robot pairing problem

Rusty,

That message seems odd. Do you have the new Beta version of the software? Assuming you've checked to make sure you have the latest normal version of the software (as you stated), do a quick troubleshooting session using our FAQs located here:

ZAGG | Frequently Asked Questions

If that doesn't work, call our customer support center. It seems like your ZAGGmate is working fine if your MacBook will pair with it. Seems more like an iPad issue, but we can help you with it. If it is something worse, we will get you another one right away. Hang in there.

Wacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to go through the vendor that sold the Zaggmate to me (Amazon vendor) and request an RMA etc, before it can be returned, too much messing about. I see by the other negative comments that the device may not be ready for prime time. When I suggested the iPad be able to fit into the case in reverse, I meant so it could be carried around as one unit to read a book etc, not to be able to balance the thing.

legub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quality (and design) issues plague the Zaggmate.

Judging from the problems being described in this thread, one must conclude that the Zaggmate is not yet ready for market.

Such a shame, since the initial reviews suggested it was a solid, quality iPad accessory befitting of its relatively hefty price tag. However, the recent users experiences being reported establish that it has some serious technical problems. Most Disappointing! :(

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
legub said:
Judging from the problems being described in this thread, one must conclude that the Zaggmate is not yet ready for market.

Such a shame, since the initial reviews suggested it was a solid, quality iPad accessory befitting of its relatively hefty price tag. However, the recent users experiences being reported establish that it has some serious technical problems. Most Disappointing! :(

I am just a simple user of the ZAGGmate with keyboard and am not experiencing any problems with my hardware. The device is working for me as advertised. Remember that we don't complain when that happens. People who are not having a problem with a product are a usually a silent majority.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a parrot - I, too, am having zero trouble with my Zaggmate. I'e used it every day since I bought it and have not once regretted my decision.

Granted, there have been a few issues with this, but if you look through the whole thread, you'll see a lot more satisfied customers than not. There's going to be glitches, yet Zagg has been right there to help those individuals. I give even higher marks to their customer service...

It's as kc2ped said - the people who are pleased with the product aren"t going to go on about how great it is. Can you imagine how dull a thread would be if it contained all "me likes too" quotes?

I stick by my original review: This is an awesome bit of kit!

Marilyn

Most reactions