What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Laverydj: Apple has designed it differently based upon what keyboard you have chosen in the settings. See the following, "Depends on whether you have it set for US or UK keyboard. If you choose US: alt+3 = £ if you choose UK: shift+3=£. Just keep in mind if you want # in UK, hold down alt + 3."

lhwang78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i tried both the zaggmate and Brookstone's portfolio one for my ipad2. love the zagg one except for the fact you cant put it in the case screen up, and also that the back of the ipad is not protected when you have it screen down in the case (which i guess i can cover with a zagg shield?)

The brookstone one takes care of both of the above problems and i like the arrow keys better (it is like the one on ur regular computer; zagg's are layed out differently-left and right arrown next to each other and up and down to the right of it) BUT...it has a few problems. In addition, its about 1.5 times the thickness of the zagg (zagg hardly adds any bulk to the ipad2). but....

1. Bluetooth automatically disconnects if you dont use the keyboard for about 3 minutes. if you press a key, it will automatically connect, but it takes a few seconds. still really annoying. zagg stays connected much longer.

2. the keyboard makes the ipad 2 CRASH!! every now and then the screen will go black and close out what i was doing. really friggin annoying. never had this problem with the zagg.

3. when 1st connecting to bluetooth, some keys don't friggin respond not matter how many times i hit the key!!! this goes on for about a minute and then will start responding. zagg never did this.

If the 3 problems above were fixed, i would probably choose the brookstone over the zagg. if the zagg's 2 problems were addressed, i would choose the zagg. zagg looks more sleek and sexy, brookstone one looks more professional. my 2 cents.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a zaggskin and some elastic straps and you've solved the problems. I can put the ipad in back first and secure it with 3in of strap. I usually just separate the two and use a helostrap to hold the ipad. It also sits well at an angle on the stand in the case like with the folded smartcover.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

tiger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ZAGG Thanks for the replay. Regarding the tip with the invisibleSHIELD
Hmm 1st I never use any shields for iPad 2 / iPhone 4, I tried the shields = I don't like them. Some user like them some not lol
But the idea with a Back cover going even up or around the front edges with a cool design and good grip, yes that's a go for me too.
I didn't find a Video on the ZAGG Web Site on how to mount the Skin or invisibleSHIELD but I found one on YouTube from a User called iCrackUriDevice (Not me) if you use search term iPad 2 invisibleSHIELD Installation
What it seems to be is quite a lot of work to get this applied well lol

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about installing invisibleSHIELDS. My first one was terrible until someone explained it to me better. Now they are simple. The most important step is to spray more solution than you think you need. How do you know if you've sprayed enough? After spraying both the device and the shield, place the shield on the device and make sure it slides around easily. If it sticks, pull it up and add more solution. Once it slides easily around the device, just spray a bit on the exterior of the shield, line up the corners, and squeegee out the solution underneath. Piece of cake. I've noticed some of our instructions aren't clear on this and I think we may be a bit hesitant telling this as some people may try to use it as a way to say we water damaged the device. Just use common sense and make sure to have a paper towel handy to soak the solution up at the edges and to prevent it from going in the cracks and speakers, etc. I made it sound harder than it is. Just make sure you add enough solution to allow the shield to slide.

chris935

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not worth the money

@ZAGG Thanks for the replay. Regarding the tip with the invisibleSHIELD
Hmm 1st I never use any shields for iPad 2 / iPhone 4, I tried the shields = I don't like them. Some user like them some not lol
But the idea with a Back cover going even up or around the front edges with a cool design and good grip, yes that's a go for me too.
I didn't find a Video on the ZAGG Web Site on how to mount the Skin or invisibleSHIELD but I found one on YouTube from a User called iCrackUriDevice (Not me) if you use search term iPad 2 invisibleSHIELD Installation
What it seems to be is quite a lot of work to get this applied well lol

Not only are they hard to install, but frankly they are not worth the price. I have ones for my iPhone and iPad. The iPhone shield is all scratched from a short accidental encounter with the keys in my pocket (curious given the video they show on their website) and the iPad one seems to be an even bigger magnet for finger prints than the naked screen itself.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about your experience. They do have a lifetime guarantee. Please call our customer service department and we can replace yours. My favorite use is always on the back of my devices to prevent scratches there. Also, we have a brand new model you may want to talk to a rep about for your iPad that nearly eliminates fingerprints but it does change the look of the screen a bit. We know everyone has different preferences and we are trying to accommodate as many needs as possible.

wjmcgurn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZAGG, I have an iPAd 2 and the Zaggmate that goes with it. Worked great for a weekend and then it just conked out. Same issue some other people have: no warning, just all of a sudden the red lights kept blinking and it was no longer sync'd. I thought it needed a recharge, and the blue light went on when initially put it in, but within a minute or two it went out -- and still doesn't work.

From earlier comments I'm assuming this is a problem with the on/off switch. But I'm not sure. The point is that it seems to be an issue, and I'm wondering how common it is. I really can't have it breaking down on me on the road the way it did: that's why I bought the thing in the first place.

ZAGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that this helps your situation, but if you check the comments, those issues were with the early iPad 1 model. We haven't had any issues with the new one. There are always random issues that come up when you mass produce as many of these as we have and I'm terribly sorry you received one such item. Please call our customer service department and they'll get you a new one right away. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

wjmcgurn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I sent an email Sunday. Will give them another day or so to respond. I know the earlier issues with on/off seemed to be with Zaggmate for iPad1, but I def have it with iPad 2. I still think the button seems a little flimsy. I will probably take your advice and just keep it on, relying on sleep.

When it was working, it was great.

pgirl61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the keyboard, but I am embarrassed to admit that apparently I grabbed one for the original Ipad, and not the Ipad 2................It works, but I have to put an elastic band around it to keep it closed when I am not using the Ipad/Keyboard. It looks kinda janky, but wha'r you gonna do? I have the shield too, but read the instructions and got scared!

Penny (my very first post and I am b*tchin', LOL)

Bigmopotz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have just received my Zaggmate for iPad 2 after waiting nearly three weeks to have it shipped to the UK. Zagg were fantastic even offering me a partial refund due to their problems with the UK facility in Ireland. Having owned the iPad 1 version i would say that ( at least for my assets) the build quality seems superior although I do think the iPad 1 Zaggmate and the iPad original version were a better fit than for this one. That said, I am very pleased with my purchase. This is the best case, cover, keyboard union you can by for your beloved iPad 2 and it looks good and feels great. I am just so annoyed at UK outlets who all appear to exploit the potential purchaser with prices ranging from £99 to £109 which is a blatant rip off on a product that only costs around £60 in the US.

okiemike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
keyboard repeat functioon

I love my Zaggmate with my iPad 1, with one exception. Every key on the keyboard will repeat if I leave my finger on even for a millisecond. Same for the space key. Is there a way to turn the repeat function off?

I have searched the Logitech site and the manual, but there is no reference to the repeat function.

Any help is greatly appreciated and humbly accepted.

BeLLaRosE120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zaggmate w/keyboard Looks nice and compatable WITH THE IPAD2 BUT??

Hi..I have a zaggmate for the ipad2 and at first I was so eager to get my hands on it, because it looks nice and very compatible with the ipad2 but then when I finally got my hands on it and was playing with it and looking at the keys and then I realized that zaggmate doesnt provide you with a user guide at least to tell you what command key is for what..so I was just breaking my head trying to see how the arrow keys work,me thinking it would work on controlling the web pages up down..and Nooo doesnt work it only is good for the notes app but not for scrolling down or up on a page..the matter is that I was mostly using the touch screen then the keyboard..anyway I dont use it I rather use the ipad keyboard then this zaggmate..I need a bluetooth keyboard that Im not going to touch the ipad2 when using it.I want the keyboard to control it..:(

Most reactions

Latest posts