What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)

legub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought my iPad yesterday at local Best Buy. When I asked for a keyboard, the dude (self-proclaimed iPad guru) wanted to upsell me on an accessory bundle (@20% off) that included the Apple board. He had no clue about the ZaggMate. I found it on the shelf myself; we opened it up and checked it out. He was impressed....but commented, "its pretty pricey". I bought it anyway.:p

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was Hoping That My Best Buy...

...would not have it but alas, they did :(, so of course I had to buy it. Fortunately, this was the only reason I went into the store, so I came away from that place with just ONE item. I couldn't wait to get this home and try it. <Note to Zagg, how come the Zaggmate is available at Best Buy right now and won't ship on your website until 12/17?>

I pulled it out of the box and it was already charged. I pulled my iPad out of its Apple Case and put into place. Started the case, followed the directions to pair iPad with the Zaggmate. EASY-peasy!

The Zaggmate comes with a cable to plug it into a power adapter. No power adapter. I'm going to have to get another accessory so that I can plug my iPad and the Zaggmate into the same charger. I'm running out of convenient wall outlets! (I know that Zagg offers a plug that has two usb connectors so that you can plug in two devices....hmmmm.)

The keyboard is small BUT a vast improvement over the virtual keyboard of the iPad, especially with the 'normal' keys being in place, like the delete key functioning as a backspace/delete key. ARROW KEYS! AND number keys. OH NO, did I just admit something was missing from my iPad?

About the arrow keys, with this keyboard it is really easy to scroll around this note. The magnifying glass just does not compare with these arrow keys. So much faster. (Another iPad slam statement--I need to stop.)

When Zagg introduced this product it had a tagline, "complete your iPad experience." I agree! This is a keeper!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
STOP IT!!!
Dang this is harder and harder to wait for Christmas reading all these posts.. I want my keyboard now now now!!
:::::::::::::;stomps feet as son walks away laughing his evil haha laugh::::::::::::

delrahim69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wanted this since first seeing it last month, your review just confirms how truly AWESOME it is! I just wish they would put a liner inside so it don't scratch the back. Needing a cover for a case is bad.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
STOP IT!!! ..[snipped little rant here].. I want my keyboard now now now!! ...:::::::::::::;stomps feet as son walks away laughing his evil haha laugh::::::::::::

BrennB: Maybe bribery'll work? Offer him some Christmas cookies? Maybe ask him to let you use it 'til Christmas, then YOU'LL wrap it to put under the tree? Threats? :D

Sorry, I can't help you with your "mean" son! I can, however, pour a bit of salt on ... as I type this reply with my oh-so-awesome Zaggmate.

OK, sorry, that was cruel. Guess I'll join your son in the evil laughing...:D

Hang in there! Only 13 more days!!!

Marilyn

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would I be able to use this key board if my ipad is housed in a silicon back protected case?
Thanks

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If anything is on the sides (i.e. wraps around from the back), then no, you won't be able to use the keyboard as a case. It fits snugly into the case as it is, and I should imagine anything extra on the side would make the iPad too big to fit in the case.

Now, that's not to stop you USING the Zaggmate as a keyboard. You don't have to have the iPad IN the Zaggmate to use the bluetooth capability. In fact, I use a different stand when I type on the keyboard - mainly because it's easier to type something, then set the keyboard aside. This works best at my desk when I've got the iPad set up next to my PC.

I have put a Zagg leatherskin on the back of my iPad for protection (especially against touching that cold metal!). But, it doesn't come up over the sides, so it fits fine in the case.

Hope this helped.

Marilyn

billpool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to see the results...Now if I could get mine shipped, been preordered since 11/25/2010. From what I read here, should be getting RSN. True?

Take Care

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
got an email from Zagg on wednesday, stating that my Zaggmate would be shipped in a few days!!

I hope I have it by Christmas!!

Come on Zagg!! :)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
STOP IT!!! ..[snipped little rant here].. I want my keyboard now now now!! ...:::::::::::::;stomps feet as son walks away laughing his evil haha laugh::::::::::::

BrennB: Maybe bribery'll work? Offer him some Christmas cookies? Maybe ask him to let you use it 'til Christmas, then YOU'LL wrap it to put under the tree? Threats? :D

Sorry, I can't help you with your "mean" son! I can, however, pour a bit of salt on ... as I type this reply with my oh-so-awesome Zaggmate.

OK, sorry, that was cruel. Guess I'll join your son in the evil laughing...:D

Hang in there! Only 13 more days!!!

Marilyn
Torture turn tables. He wants motorcycle course lessons....I got him a helmet.

If anything is on the sides (i.e. wraps around from the back), then no, you won't be able to use the keyboard as a case. It fits snugly into the case as it is, and I should imagine anything extra on the side would make the iPad too big to fit in the case.

Now, that's not to stop you USING the Zaggmate as a keyboard. You don't have to have the iPad IN the Zaggmate to use the bluetooth capability. In fact, I use a different stand when I type on the keyboard - mainly because it's easier to type something, then set the keyboard aside. This works best at my desk when I've got the iPad set up next to my PC.

I have put a Zagg leatherskin on the back of my iPad for protection (especially against touching that cold metal!). But, it doesn't come up over the sides, so it fits fine in the case.

Hope this helped.

Marilyn

Good to know, I actually have the leather skins on the truck for delivery!

TRav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg product is always amazing !!
I think I may get it as my 4th case.

Thanks for the review Mickey330

KenJr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to see the results...Now if I could get mine shipped, been preordered since 11/25/2010. From what I read here, should be getting RSN. True?

Take Care
Ordered mine yesterday. When placing my order the site said it would ship in 3 to 4 business days. Hang in there - I'm sure yours will be shipped even before mine.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Have My IPad and Zaggmate with Keyboard

on my desk at work and some really silly person came by, saw it on my desk and asked me when I got my new NETBOOK!! I was completely insulted! I told my colleague, this ain't no stinking netbook, it's an iPad and it don't do flash! Colleague starts backing up slowly out of the room apologizing profusely and before he turned tail he stated well it looks like a netbook.

After he left I looked at my kit and I realized that with this configuration, I do have a netbook. BUT unlike a netbook, I don't have a lot of wires running around my desk. And I can easily get in and out of various applications on my iPad.

My workstation is a Lenovo ThinkPad, it takes me 10 minutes to shut it down, stow its cables, and put it in my back pack. It takes less than a minute to stow the entire iPad.

I'm thinking of getting a Zagg leather skin on the iPad (cold aluminium is not comfortable to hold). And another leather skin on the Zaggmate bottom. Do you think this is excessive?

Most reactions

Latest posts