What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Hotspot menu entry missing.

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 247820

Hello folks.
I have iPad mini4 ios 12.1.1.
I often hotspot from my cellular iPhone 6 ios 12.1.2 to my WiFi only iPad.
For a long time I have not have any issues, now when I try to connect the iPad via the hotspot, I no longer get the entry in the iPad called "personal hotspot" with the corresponding named iPhone supplying the hotspot, as in this photo.
upload_2018-12-24_12-42-39.jpeg
?

I just get the list of networks, not the entry named "Personal Hotspot".
I want to get this entry back.
The hotspotted iPhone will appear in the general "networks found area", only after going back to the iPhone, turn off hot spotting, and turning it on again.
The whole hotspotting procedure works better when the area marked "Personal Hotspot" appears above the general bunch of networks.
Any ideas about getting it back?
Resetting networks does not fix it.
Both devices are signed into the same iCloud account.
I have looked through various settings without luck.
I am pretty sure that an update did not cause the problem, but I have inadvertently triggered something.
Any ideas welcome thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That list of WiFi hotspots looks like it's from a Mac. I've never seen Personal Hotspot listed like that on my MacBook Pro or any of my iOS devices.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi scfian.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
The pic is not from my iPad because I cannot get that Personal Hotspot area any more.
So I looked about and that is the only pic I could find showing the Personal Hotsopt entry, and it is close to what I used to get.
I can assure you that for a very long time I had the Personal Hotspot entry on my iPad right where it is showing in the pic.
It is a pain in the butt not having it anymore.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Scifan
Yes I can.
The nuisance is that first I need to find the iPhone somewhere in the house, then open the "Personal Hotspot" section, then turn it off wait a second and turn it on again.
Wait whilst the iPad finds the WiFi then select it.
OK that's not the end of the earth, but when the "Personal Hotspot" entry was available, the iPhone showed up straight away and only required one click to gain access.
I hope that is clear, and BTW thanks for your interest.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is Bluetooth turned on in settlings on both devices?

I believe Bluetooth is what is what the devices use to discover nearby iOS devices, and what services they have turned on. It’s the same with the AirDrop features. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are used to make the service work.

Also, if you have not done so recently, restart both devices.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi TPoet.
Yes bluetooth is on in both devices.
And I have restarted both several times.
I also tried with VPN off, but still no luck.
Perhaps it is time to re install the OS? Although I have the sinking feeling even that will not fix the issue.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi TPoet.
Thanks for that link.
It reinforced what I had in my mind as the requirements to use Hotspot.
Alas it did not trigger a thought about what I can change.
My next move is to try the "Reset all settings" in Settings, after I do a backup.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

E3125D02-4066-4E53-AA39-0C93EEA9E736.jpeg
Hi TPoet and Scifan.
Well! Resetting all settings (in general settings) resolved the issue I had with the missing Personal Hotspot entry.
See inserted pic.
And as a bonus the iPad as a whole works noticeably quicker.
I am very pleased.
Thank you both for your interest.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Scifan.
The only thing is that I don’t know how I lost the entry in the first place.
Anyway all good!

Most reactions

Latest posts