What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF Expert VS GoodReader

Kaparoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I everybody .

I'm new here and English is not my native , so I apologize ...
I'm beginning my studies soon and I need an app which will allow me to use annotations ( Notes , Markers etc). I also need good cloud support ( Dropbox) . After some research I have left 2 options , which you can see in the headline .
I have tried a few other options before getting into those 2:

-PDFReaderLite- Good , and does exactly what I need , but the Lite version allows only 10 documents and I 'm not sure about support on additional documents formats. If I need to pay for an application I prefer one of the popular apps .

I have Office 2 HD but I can't edit PDF files
Iannotate Free- It seems the export file does not include any annotations.

It's important I'll be able to export the annotated docs with all the annotations , including the notes.
If I'll be able to add annotations to different type of files , as Doc/Docx , it will be great too.

I'm even not sure that the different value between those 2 apps (5$ & 10$) , is worth it . I didn't see any major advantages in PDF Expert compre to GoodReader .

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might also try iAnnotate. I use it as my primary annotating tool, though Good Reader seems to be the best overall compromise.

OP
Kaparoni

Kaparoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Thx for the quick answers ! :)

WritePDF looks good and also iAnnotate . After reading on both of them I have left with 2 important questions:

1.Do they support in other formats except PDF ( Not only reading , but also annotations )?
2. Will I be able to export them with all the annotations + seeing all the notes , on additonal readers ?

Thank you in advance!

iAnnotate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work for Branchfire, makers of iAnnotate.

It's important I'll be able to export the annotated docs with all the annotations , including the notes.
If I'll be able to add annotations to different type of files , as Doc/Docx , it will be great too.

iAnnotate can export docs with all annotations. We have doc-to-pdf and ppt-to-pdf conversion as experimental features.

1.Do they support in other formats except PDF ( Not only reading , but also annotations )?
2. Will I be able to export them with all the annotations + seeing all the notes , on additonal readers ?

The kinds of annotations we work with are exclusive to the PDF format, so you'll need to work with PDF files. You can export with all annotations, though whether an annotation is viewable or not depends on the reader (e.g. iBooks doesn't support annotations; Preview on desktop supports them, except for Photo and Sound Clip). Hope this answers your questions!

OP
Kaparoni

Kaparoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iAnnotate said:

iAnnotate can export docs with all annotations. We have doc-to-pdf and ppt-to-pdf conversion as experimental features.

The kinds of annotations we work with are exclusive to the PDF format, so you'll need to work with PDF files. You can export with all annotations, though whether an annotation is viewable or not depends on the reader (e.g. iBooks doesn't support annotations; Preview on desktop supports them, except for Photo and Sound Clip). Hope this answers your questions!

Thx for your answer . I'll make a decision soon.

BR

OP
Kaparoni

Kaparoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iAnnotate said:

Hi .

I have watched a few demos via Youtube and it looks amazing !
Since this app is now added to my current options I have a few questions:

1.Does the app support RTL ? I need a very good support since I 'm using RTL as my native.
2. Will I be able to print documents via the app? I guess the app support AirPrint but I don't have a AirPRint printer , only a regular wireless priter .
3. Assuming I want to convert Doc/Docx files to PDF , using iAnnotate , will the convert process work as expected without any strange bugs? ( You said this is an experimental feature . Since I'm going to use the app for my studies I need it to be able to convert files.
4. Will I be able to add video files to a PDF files ? ( GoodReader can do that).

Their is a good feedback on your app , but as you get to know me , you'll see , it's taking me time to get decisions regarding hardware/software that used by me often :)

Thx.

Last edited:

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think your request for details points out a general problem: the writeups in the app store (and in other pr from developers) are far too sketchy. All a prospective purchaser can do is post a request for info on a forum. But---like you---one is bound to be disappointed because none of us has experience with ALL related apps.

Fortunately, one doesn't have to sell the family farm to give most apps a personal acid test----.

OP
Kaparoni

Kaparoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all !
I have decided to go with GoodReader after all.

Have a good week.

OP
Kaparoni

Kaparoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm using GoodReader for about 2 days now and it's great , but , I have 2 questions:

1. When I'm trying to connect my Gmail account via GoodReader , I'm getting "Invalid Server Response" . I was searching for. Solution on web , but all the results refers to the same problem with Dropbox and Sugersync . I also sent an email to the GoodReader support email but didn't get an answer yet.

2. Is there any way to convert DOC/DOCX files to PDF , using GoodReader? I couldn't find nothing on the help section.

Thank you in advance!

OP
Kaparoni

Kaparoni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaparoni said:
Hi

I'm using GoodReader for about 2 days now and it's great , but , I have 2 questions:

1. When I'm trying to connect my Gmail account via GoodReader , I'm getting "Invalid Server Response" . I was searching for. Solution on web , but all the results refers to the same problem with Dropbox and Sugersync . I also sent an email to the GoodReader support email but didn't get an answer yet.

2. Is there any way to convert DOC/DOCX files to PDF , using GoodReader? I couldn't find nothing on the help section.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Got an answer from the developer . The problem should be fixed on IOS 5.1.1 . I need to upgrade ( I have 5.0).

Thx!

Most reactions