What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC user's first week with IPAD

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Get Splashtop, manipulate your desktop from your Ipad and it comes with a much better keyboard than the Ipad one.
Depending on if it's on sale it is from .99- $9.99 but it's almost always on sale. After that there will only be things you want to buy to enhance your Ipad, none that you need to enhance it.
Welcome to the forum

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Thanks mountain biker mark

When u say manipulate your pc from the iPad ... Does it mean keep the pc on .. Keep the iPad on ... Use the iPad go work on the pc ?

Sort...this question is not to challenge you ... But joust to understand what I am getting into !!!

Regards
Subu

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When u say manipulate your pc from the iPad ... Does it mean keep the pc on .. Keep the iPad on ... Use the iPad go work on the pc ?

Sort...this question is not to challenge you ... But joust to understand what I am getting into !!!

Regards
Subu

Yes. Precisely this. You leave your PC on and you can manipulate and use it from anywhere that you have Internet, basically!

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oberkc said:
I am also a new user of IPad and apple products. In my mind, the file management system is THE major disappointment. Yes, one can use iTunes for some files. I also use a couple of other apps for different types. Even still, one cannot load a single file and access it from a variety of apps. You must somehow associate each file with an app as you load them and then must remember which app that was.

Adding a windows explorer, or "finder" window must happen or I will not remain loyal to the iOS platform and consider other options when the time comes. Until then, I will use it and enjoy it. There are a lot of positives about this device.

Hi

Thanks for your replies....

I think I forgot one more question

Let us say I open and read a HTML document or a word document or a pdf file or something on the web. I want to save it on my iPad for later reading ... How do I save it ? What app ? Or what method ?

Tia
Regards
Subu

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused as to a number of these posts, specifically Yarrenbool's and oberkc's posts.

Why doesn't the spotlight search work for you?

What would you want to do to open files with different programs? Do you use a word processor programs for things other than word processing? I'm just confused as to why you would need more than one program for a file type, save for the difference between viewing and editing.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your replies....

I think I forgot one more question

Let us say I open and read a HTML document or a word document or a pdf file or something on the web. I want to save it on my iPad for later reading ... How do I save it ? What app ? Or what method ?

Tia
Regards
Subu

Pretty much you just drag and drop it into iTunes.

An extended help document is here. The gyst of it is drag-and-drop your PDF into iTunes under Books, then drag it into your iPad into the Books section. Right click and modify the information if you want (it's not a bad idea).

Done. :)

I'm not sure as to html pages, and I don't have the time right now to research it for you. Try a google search for "saved html pages in ipad" or something like that.

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tandy EX user here. The best advice I can give a windows user with an iPad is get a dropbox account and buy goodreader.

These 2 things alone will make the adjustment to the iPad much easier. If you are trying to replace a laptop you do work on forget about it, but it is getting better. The MS skydrive site is changing from silverlight to HTML 5.

If you are bummed about file access just remember if you have access to the file system so do malicious programs.

I'm all for sandboxing, for now.

I liked my ipad so much I bought a Mac Air because it had some features i liked in the Ipad, instant on and long battery life. OSX Lion is going to bring even more ipadiness to my Mac Air.

Bravo Apple!

Amen to instant on!

Sent from my huge iPod touch via IPF.

Last edited:

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are bummed about file access just remember if you have access to the file system so do malicious programs.

Amen to instant on!

Pretty much exactly how I feel! I think sandboxing is possibly the best way to prevent malicious attacks and keep user information safe, aside from actual device theft.

avwh

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tia
Regards
Subu

Apps like Dropbox or Evernote will save/synch most docs. For pdfs, it seems Goodreader is the popular choice.

For saving a webpage to read later, try Offline Reader. Or you can cut and paste into Evernote to read later.

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SingingSabre said:
I'm confused as to a number of these posts, specifically Yarrenbool's and oberkc's posts.

Why doesn't the spotlight search work for you?

What would you want to do to open files with different programs? Do you use a word processor programs for things other than word processing? I'm just confused as to why you would need more than one program for a file type, save for the difference between viewing and editing.

Sorry if I wasn't clear

Here is what I wish to do ... : Download a page ...PDF..doc..HTML ..or other page ... / file WHEN I have Internet connection and save it somewhere on my iPad, so that I can read it later WHEN I do NOT have internet on my iPad ...like when on a train ..or plane ...

It is preferable I save it on the iPad .... Because if I have to save it somewhere else I haven't figured how to connect to that somewhere else space ,..... Or other pc ...or other disk derive where the doc, PDF, sp sheet, HTML page is stored ... To my ipad

Thanks
Subu

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't clear

Here is what I wish to do ... : Download a page ...PDF..doc..HTML ..or other page ... / file WHEN I have Internet connection and save it somewhere on my iPad, so that I can read it later WHEN I do NOT have internet on my iPad ...like when on a train ..or plane ...

It is preferable I save it on the iPad .... Because if I have to save it somewhere else I haven't figured how to connect to that somewhere else space ,..... Or other pc ...or other disk derive where the doc, PDF, sp sheet, HTML page is stored ... To my ipad

Thanks
Subu

Google lead me to Instapaper.

Info here if you can laugh at yourself. :)

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog said:
Tandy EX user here. The best advice I can give a windows user with an iPad is get a dropbox account and buy goodreader.

Hi

happy to note that you liked your iPad.
You've probably figured out something that I haven' t till date .... If you have the time...please help me with these questions....
Please note that I am typing all this from an iPad...so I am NOT trying to ridicule you or challenge you... Or anyone for that matter
I' m earnestly trying to put. My iPad to better use

Let me get to the questions on this thread

1. Let's say I am reading a PDF file on the web. Let's say that is 100 pages and I have time JUST now only for 10 pages. I wish download that entire file now and to save that file on my iPad and read it later. Later is a time ...say two hours...two days from Now when I many NOT have Internet on my iPad . I haven't figured out something as simple as control +s on a PDF file to save it (as I would do on windows).... I can't see a windows explorer type file manager. I am told that I should forget file centric working ... I haven2't figured out how to save that PDF file (for example) or a doc file or a xl file that i am just reading now and read the rest of the pages when I dod not have Internet connection to my iPad

Rog said:
These 2 things alone will make the adjustment to the iPad much easier. If you are trying to replace a laptop you do work on forget about it, but it is getting better. The MS skydrive site is changing from silverlight to HTML 5. .

hum... There are some more things

2. M'y thumb is not as sharp as a mouse arrow head.
When I try to copy something I end up pointing to a slightly different word or line above or below. I don't have arrow keys....boldest he'll getting to the right word and copying then right amount of text becomes a torture !!!
What do you do ? Do you have a mouse app thaeta gives you a sharp mouse head ?

Rog said:
If you are bummed about file access just remember if you have access to the file system so do malicious programs..

I'm just interested in downloading, saving, reading, shredding deleting un wanted stuff ... Again downloading something else ...repeating the cycle .... How to save as easy as using a control +s ?

I keep using the word file access so that I express myself to you and other readers... That's windows speak ...sorry that's the lingo I know

Rog said:

Sandbox ...is that an app like drop box ? Or?

Rog said:
I liked my ipad so much I bought a Mac Air because it had some features i liked in the Ipad, instant on and long battery life. OSX Lion is going to bring even more ipadiness to my Mac Air.

Bravo Apple!

I am still on a learning more
Bravo apple they've made millions happy ,,,, so that is a great job.
Bravo everyone who can help me make sense out of this gizmo....

I've got to seriously un learn it looks like. God I've never felt so helpless in front of something called a computer....

Rog said:
Amen to instant on!.

How do you select a whole line ... Ipad equivalent of shift + end in windows ?
How do you select the HTML symbol / end of para marker or end quote with the brackets ? I mean how can i get that in one go Without having to tap on that three times... Get to move the left marker over the left bracket ... The right marker over the right bracket and then tap carefully on copy and then tap two ..three four times two get to the correct place to paste it to and paste it ?

Sent from my huge iPod touch via IPF.[/QUOTE]

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
avwh said:
Apps like Dropbox or Evernote will save/synch most docs. For pdfs, it seems Goodreader is the popular choice..[/QUOTE

Hi

I wish to read the files later when i do not have Internet connection. I just got the drop box app e that says upload ... Then download ...etc... S I am confused... Don't I need Internet later to get the stuff from drop box?

avwh said:
For saving a webpage to read later, try Offline Reader. Or you can cut and paste into Evernote to read later.

Let me go looking for those....

I'm guessing these are apps ? Or ?

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2. M'y thumb is not as sharp as a mouse arrow head.
When I try to copy something I end up pointing to a slightly different word or line above or below. I don't have arrow keys....boldest he'll getting to the right word and copying then right amount of text becomes a torture !!!
What do you do ? Do you have a mouse app thaeta gives you a sharp mouse head ?

Sandbox ...is that an app like drop box ?

My understanding of sandboxing is that apps are contained within themselves, with no access to the actual system. This makes them unable to access information from other apps or from the system itself. Essentially, it means that each app is completely contained within itself and is unable to steal or alter anything else on the iPad, so viruses and trojans are effectively moot.

As to your pointer issue, among other ones, they're covered under the user manual, which is available in iBooks (free download). For pointing, just hold on a word and watch what happens. The rest is easy.

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SingingSabre said:
Google lead me to Instapaper.

Installed ,instapaper bookmark or bookmarklet on safari. Saved a page. Instapaper needs Internet connection to bring back the page. So does not meet my need of saving pages to readmwhen i do not have connection or may not have internet connection

Will try the google search And laugh next ...

Thanks

SingingSabre said:
Info here if you can laugh at yourself. :)

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad.subu said:
Installed ,instapaper bookmark or bookmarklet on safari. Saved a page. Instapaper needs Internet connection to bring back the page. So does not meet my need of saving pages to readmwhen i do not have connection or may not have internet connection

Will try the google search And laugh next ...

Thanks

You need to open up instapaper and let it download all your saved pages while you still have your Internet connection (do this before you leave your Internet-enabled area). Then you can view those articles later without Internet connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts