What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC program on ipad?

jlapw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a program on cd on PC and wondering if there is anyway for it to work on iPad.

Thanks in advance!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely not. No PC program will run on the iPad - different microprocessor, different operating system, different architecture. The only programs that will run on a non-jailbroken iPad are in the Apple App Store. No other programs at all will run on the iPad - not even those that run on an Apple Macintosh computer.

Tim

wtcoppersmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if only iPad Apps work, adding a USB slot to the iPad would only work for Apple programs, right? Is there a proprietary USB system for Macs or do regular USBs work? So if Apple ever adds a USB slot to a future iPad, would(could) it work between a Mac and an iPad?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a program on cd on PC and wondering if there is anyway for it to work on iPad.

Hello Jlapw - welcome to the forum - :)

You might want to tell us 'what' this program is & does? Maybe there is a good iPad app option to serve your needs?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if only iPad Apps work, adding a USB slot to the iPad would only work for Apple programs, right? Is there a proprietary USB system for Macs or do regular USBs work? So if Apple ever adds a USB slot to a future iPad, would(could) it work between a Mac and an iPad?

Not sure I quite understand what you mean. Only apps that are in the Apple App Store will run on an iPad. If a future iPad had a USB slot then the operating system, iOS, would need to be updated to handle this. In fact, the iPad does 'sort of' have a limited USB capability that's used when you plug the sync cable into the PC. This will even support some USB keyboards.

Tim

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure Tim is about to recommend this as a workaround: if you are on a home network or have a strong internet connection, you can run your PC remotely using programs like Splashtop (recommended). That way you can run all of your Windows programs. :D

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great idea, Info. I should have mentioned that. Yes, if you really need access to PC programs then a remote desktop program - and Splashtop is the current favourite - is the way to go. There's a free, limited viewing time, version available in the App Store.

Again, thanks!!

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
If the program on PC can work on Apple iPad, it will be wonderful!

No PC program can run on an iPad but you can use a remote desktop app on the iPad to access a remote PC and have the PC screen 'mirrored' onto the iPad. You run the PC program on the remote PC but control it and see the results on the iPad.

Tim

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a number of USB adapters for the iPad (including one from Apple) but it is limited in what it can do. You can use it to attach cameras and keyboards but I don't think you can use it to communicate with a Mac or PC or hard drive.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure Tim is about to recommend this as a workaround: if you are on a home network or have a strong internet connection, you can run your PC remotely using programs like Splashtop (recommended). That way you can run all of your Windows programs. :D

Couple of questions Guys about running a 'remote desktop' app on the iPad?

Do the networks have to be the same one and if not is VPN supported?

Just curious - I've connected to my office PC for years via Windows Remote Desktop using VPN through a Citrix client - has worked well - assume that w/ the iPad I could at least connect to my desktop PC in the other room on our Wi-Fi network - thanks. :)

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman said:
Couple of questions Guys about running a 'remote desktop' app on the iPad?

Do the networks have to be the same one and if not is VPN supported?

Just curious - I've connected to my office PC for years via Windows Remote Desktop using VPN through a Citrix client - has worked well - assume that w/ the iPad I could at least connect to my desktop PC in the other room on our Wi-Fi network - thanks. :)

http://support-remote.splashtop.com...splashtop-over-a-vpn-connection-on-the-iphone

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Thanks for the information link above - bought the app and will plan to connect to my own DT computer - also downloaded a Citrix app for the iPad and attempted to connect to my office computer via the web through a VPN portal (easy on my VISTA laptop) - well, failed and was locked out, so need to call IT to release my account - probably an easy step or two that I've missed, but will try again - :)

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman said:
Thanks for the information link above - bought the app and will plan to connect to my own DT computer - also downloaded a Citrix app for the iPad and attempted to connect to my office computer via the web through a VPN portal (easy on my VISTA laptop) - well, failed and was locked out, so need to call IT to release my account - probably an easy step or two that I've missed, but will try again - :)

Let us know how it goes, I hope it works out for you.

OP
J

jlapw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim - thanks for your quick response to my question!
Giradman - thanks for the welcome! I use the program for my work. I have to input information and then it provides a results sheet that I print. There is unfortunately no app of this kind I am sure.

I will try splashtop though now that I know it exists. :)

Most reactions