What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC connection problems

turner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my IPAD since before Christmas and initially set it up fine. After downloading some apps I am no longer able to connect to my windows XP computer without the computer crashing. I have tried lots of things and the Apple support line has not been any help. If you know of any suggestion, I sould like to hear it. Thanks, Turner

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could I ask a couple of other questions?

I guess you are using the latest version of iTunes - i.e. at least 10.1?
Does the PC crash immediately you connect the iPad or when iTunes boots or when a sync operation is occurring?

Does XP crash giving you an error code?

I'm sure that, over the next day or two, Forum members will be able to sort this problem out, so don't panic!

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

turner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blue screen error code

Thanks, Tim,
Here is the error code:
STOP:0X0000007E (0XC0000065,0X00000000,0XBA5077C8,OXBA5074C4)
Before that there is a message saying a problem has been detected and windows is shutting down to avoid damage to the computer.
Yes, I am using the latest version of ITunes.
The crash seems to be when ITunes recognizes the ipad.

Last edited:

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
turner said:
Thanks, Tim,
Here is the error code:
STOP:0X0000007E (0XC0000065,0X00000000,0XBA5077C8,OXBA5074C4)
Before that there is a message saying a problem has been detected and windows is shutting down to avoid damage to the computer.
Yes, I am using the latest version of ITunes.
The crash seems to be when ITunes recognizes the ipad.

Post your system specs (model,ram), also is your XP completely up to date with SP3 and updates.

Make sure you post the entire error message

Have you altered any startups or services in msconfig ( if you don't know then it's a no)

Did you try different USB port?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may sound like a silly question - so please don't be offended - but why are you connecting your iPad to your computer?

I say that because, as several Forum members have suggested, it's hardly worth connecting your iPad to your PC simply to 'back up' the iPad.

For one thing, backing up can take a long time. For another, since iTunes and the App Store keep a record of all your purchases, even if you 'lost' everything and had to completely reset your iPad, you could upload again all your apps and iTunes purchases. So all you really need to back up are any documents, presentations etc that you might be working on. Photos - well, I guess you've got those on your PC anyway.

Backing up documents etc can be done either directly to your PC over WiFit using, say, GoodReader or another third-party application or via a 'cloud server', such as Apple's MobileMe iDisk.

OK - I know this doesn't really answer your question (well, actually it doesn't answer it at all!) and if you really want to sync contacts and appointments all the time between your PC and your iPad it's definitely not a solution, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Going back to your original problem, as the previous poster suggested, maybe trying a different USB port (if you have one), checking you have the latest XP Service Pack update is the next step.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Tim
Scotland

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hardly ever connect to my pc, the only reason would have been for images, but I usually just upload those to sites like flicker, facebook or google etc..

Never the less it's still worth fixing, especially if related to out of date software in OS or drivers of some sort ( that's why entire error has to be posted)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - you are right - it's definitely worth fixing!! For one thing, it would just nag at the back of my mind all the time. I can't stand things 'not working'.

I'm no good with Windows error codes, so I bow to your superior knowledge. Anyway, for the second day running, my brain is only operating at ½ its normal clock rate and it's only a single core processor.....in fact, it feels like an Intel 4004 some days...

Tim
Scotland

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - you are right - it's definitely worth fixing!! For one thing, it would just nag at the back of my mind all the time. I can't stand things 'not working'.

I'm no good with Windows error codes, so I bow to your superior knowledge. Anyway, for the second day running, my brain is only operating at ½ its normal clock rate and it's only a single core processor.....in fact, it feels like an Intel 4004 some days...

Tim
Scotland

well superior lol I don't know.... 4004 are you showing your age :p?

OP
T

turner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error screen when trying to connect ipad to pc

Thank you everyone. Here is the entire screen info that comes up on the blue screen when I try to connect the ipad:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps.
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.
Technical information:
STOP: OXOOOOOO7E (OXCOOOOOO5, OXOOOOOOOO, OXBA5077C8, OXBA5074C4)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance"

Thanks, again, Turner

Alfsbrother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed the date on this enquiry above, and I wondered if you solved the problem of your PC crashing when connecting your IPad. I now have exactly the same problem, I tried changing USB's, disconnecting web cam and so far no joy. Help!! as I would like to download family pictures etc. onto the IPad so I can bore other people when away from home and visiting relatives. Any body's advice or solutions welcome.

Alfsbrother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I'm glad to say that I've solved this problem to my satisfaction. It seems there was a conflict between the Ipad/Itunes connection and Logitech software that was on my PC. I uninstalled all the Logitech drivers and web cam, laser mouse and logitech microphone, connected my Ipad and everything was fine and worked as it should. I then disconnected the Ipad, reloaded the Logitech stuff and every thing is working again as normal.

Alfsbrother

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick update: After a week of having no connection problems at all, the dreaded blue screen suddenly struck again yesterday. So once again I un-installed all the Logitech drivers, re-connected my Ipad to the PC and downloaded more photos, no problems all working OK. I'm sure that you're all aware that I'm no expert, but it would prove conclusively to me that the problem is definitely Logitech. By the way my PC is a Dell inspiron. running windows XP service pack3 and my new toy is an IPad2 IO5. Hope this helps anybody else who comes across this problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts