What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Password problems?

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had trouble with my iPad/Apple store password. I went to the web and found instructions that said to change your pass word: 1. Go to Settings 2. Tap [your name] > Password & Security > Change Password. The problem is that when I tap "Password & Security", I get a small panel asking for my password, the one I am trying to change because it doesn't work. No where is there a display of a setting "Change Password" that I can click on. My question is: How am I supposed to change my password if it keeps asking me for an old password that I do not remember?

WesternGuy

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
W

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A., thanks for the reply. The first one - support.apple.com - does not seem to work because, as I mentioned in my posting, the instructions are as noted -- I went to the web and found instructions that said to change your pass word: 1. Go to Settings 2. Tap [your name] > Password & Security > Change Password. The problem is that when I tap "Password & Security", I get a small panel asking for my password, the one I am trying to change because it doesn't work. No where is there a display of a setting "Change Password" that I can click on.

I thought I would try the second one, just in case, and this is the response I received:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We’re evaluating your information and will have an update in 23 hours.
When it’s time to reset your password, we will send instructions to (•••) •••-••XX.

Wondering why you need to wait? First, this gives you time to cancel the request in case someone else is trying to get into your account.

Second, we use this time to review how and when your devices are connecting to Apple’s servers. This helps us confirm it’s really you making the request.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a bit ridiculous as I would like to change it now, not 23 hours from now. Any suggestions to get past this "23 hour" gate? Thanks.

Maybe a trip to the Apple Store is in need?

WesternGuy

OP
W

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A., I received the message of having to wait for 23 hours on August 29th and now it is September 6th and I have not received any reply from Apple regarding changing my password. Any suggestions as to what to do now?

WesternGuy

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
J.A., I received the message of having to wait for 23 hours on August 29th and now it is September 6th and I have not received any reply from Apple regarding changing my password. Any suggestions as to what to do now?

WesternGuy
Changing your password is straight forward. If you have forgotten your password Apple has to verify you are who you say you are. It’s all part of their security protocol.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you having the problems with the iPhone password or the password used to access your Apple ID?

OP
W

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter7, yes I realize it is all part of their security protocol, but they said they would contact me in 23 hours and that deadline is long gone, so I really don't think much of their protocol. I got another email, saying that they would contact me in several days. It is now September 7th and, to me, that is more than several days, besides, several days doesn't really mean anything. Can you imagine what might happen if you told your boss that his report would be ready in several days, although a good boss would tell you when he wanted it. I don't have such an option with this - telling Apple when I want it or need it. At least they could tell me something like - " we will get back to you in 5 days or some other number, at least I would know what to expect - several days tells me absolutely nothing about when to expect a reply, so, to me, their protocol is pure b%^&*( - if you know what I mean.

I have now been sitting with a new iPad Pro 2 for almost 10 days that I cannot use because Apple does not return my request for a new password.

WesternGuy

OP
W

WesternGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57, I guess that would be the password used to access my Apple ID.

WesternGuy

finesosl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had trouble with my iPad/Apple store password. I went to the web and found instructions that said to change your pass word: 1. Go to Settings 2. Tap [your name] > Password & Security > Change Password. The problem is that when I tap "Password & Security", I get a small panel asking for my password, the one I am trying to change because it doesn't work. No where is there a display of a setting "Change Password" that I can click on. My question is: How am I supposed to change my password if it keeps asking me for an old password that I do not remember?

WesternGuy
According to support.apple.com,

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch​

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap [your name] > Password & Security > Change Password.
    ios14-iphone-11-pro-settings-apple-id-password-security-change-password-on-tap.jpg
  3. If you are signed into iCloud and have a passcode enabled, you will be prompted to enter the passcode for your device.
  4. Follow the onscreen steps to update your password.

On your Mac​

With macOS Catalina:
  1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Apple ID.
  2. Click Password & Security.
  3. If you're asked to enter your Apple ID password, click "Forgot Apple ID or password" and follow the onscreen instructions. You can skip the final steps below.
  4. Click Change Password. Before you can reset your Apple ID password, you'll be required to enter the password you used to unlock your Mac.
With macOS Mojave, High Sierra, or Sierra:
  1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Choose Account Details.
  3. If you're asked to enter your Apple ID password, click "Forgot Apple ID or password" and follow the onscreen instructions. You can skip the final steps below.
  4. Click Security > Reset Password or Change Password. Before you can reset your Apple ID password, you'll be required to enter the password you used to unlock your Mac.

Most reactions

Latest posts