What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages, Keynote and Numbers - All Documents Lost!!!

ManicDreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me. I opened Numbers about an hour ago to work on a document and all my existing documents vanished off the screen and no longer exist on my iPad.
Opening Pages and the Keynote gave the same results - each document just vanished one by one.
All I have now is the Getting Started documents.

I did a backup to the iCloud yesterday as I set up a new @me.com address, could this have anything to do with it? No other application seems affected e.g. IBooks, Calendar, Contacts, Quick Office etc.

Anyone know how do i get the things back?

Since I upgraded to OS5, I've had everything set to backup to the iCloud rather than through iTunes.

Thanks to anyone that tries to help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have interrupted the process of copying the documents to iCloud. They seem to disappear sometimes, then come back.

Try visiting iCloud.com on a computer and see if the documents show up under the iWorks on the web site.

If they do, clear the iWorks apps from RAM (as described below) then open them again. Make sure you have a good internet connection. Be patient. For some reason the iWorks apps check in with the internet first, and only start displaying your documents (even though they are stored locally) after it's looked for updates. Annoying, and it can take several seconds. I've seen it take up to 15 seconds, which sounds short but seems very long when you are looking at a blank documents section. It would be easy to get frustrated and close the app before they show up.

As an experiment, I've shut down my internet and opened each app. It still takes a couple of seconds for the documents to appear, though it is usually faster than when the internet connection is open (I have a slow (for broadband) internet connection that is not always reliable).

Hopefully that is what is going on.

OP
ManicDreamer

ManicDreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I'll give your thoughts a go, but wanted to clarify that the documents were listed when I opened each app, but then vanished one by one until all I had was the getting started documents.

Interesting that it looks for an Internet connection, as the building I was in at the time is an absolute black hole! But I have used Numbers in that building as I have an attendance sheet for a meeting - which was what I was opening Numbers for...

Thanks for helping and I'll let you know.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I understood that, and it does worry me; but I don't have any other suggestions.

When I synced my iPad and iPhone versions of iWorks the duplicate documents on each actually duplicated, so I know that the iCloud site should not have overwritten them.

Hoping that it will work out.

Most reactions