What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages Issue

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used Pages for a book that I wrote as suggested here. I tried to add a page of text to the page after the cover including the ISBN and the copyright notice. I pasted it in but it came out in 24 point font size. I can’t figure out how to change the text size. I put it in Edit mode and can’t find the link for font size. I’m seeing six pages of text rather than one page.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Select the text and then using the Paint brush icon. You can either change the size of the selected text, or choose one of the existing styles. Body is the normal choice.

Note: Even without selecting text, changing the style will normally change the font/size/ect for whatever paragraph the cursor is in.

Here is the online Pages User Guide: Pages User Guide for iPad

And here is the free iBooks version: ‎Pages User Guide for iPad

There are way too many options for me to go through them all here. But, when choosing a large project it is generally better to choose or adjust the styles to ones you like and then use them consistently. If you randomly change text and font’s through the document things can quickly become unmanageable when you need to make changes later.

Also, the auto table of contents feature uses the Title styles to generate the table. So a little planning can help a lot in the end.

I would make a small trial book and play around until I was confident I had what I wanted before tackling the larger project. Probably should have said that when I mentioned the possibility of using Pages for books earlier.

Last edited:
OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you The book is done with 33 chapters and the prologue

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The have another issue with Pages. I’m trying to upload my book to the KDP site to sell it. The file is in Pages but they don’t allow the file to upload from there. I don’t know how to save it in another app. I can copy it but I don’t know where to save it. Documents isn’t accessible for upload and the files that I see are in an unknown place that I cannot access.

iCloud Drive is the location to upload files. Just figured it out. So how do I save the book in Pages to iCloud Drive?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
By default Pages saves it’s documents either in iCloud Drive or on the iPad locally, in a folder named Pages. You can choose where Pages saves it’s documents by default in Settings > Pages > Document Storage.

All of these choices are accessible in the Files app by backing up to the top level in the file browser when uploading. Make sure you choose the Browse choice/mode when the the file picker shows up. Keep hitting the back arrow at the top left corner until it goes away. You should see iCloud Drive, On This iPad, and a few other choices (depending on what other apps and service you have installed).

You can also choose to move the file to other folders in the Pages app. When viewing files in Pages, choose Select, Select the app, then use the Move button at the bottom of the screen. You will get a file browsing view similar to the Files app. Just navigate to where you want the file moved and save/move it.

Not all destinations will actually move the file. In the case of some app destinations the file may actually be copied/duplicated to that app’s folder.

FA4588D7-50E0-46FA-AD0B-D6AE7AF86BE2.png

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. I saved my book in ePub format and uploaded it. Saved it and it is 469 kB . Tried to upload the manuscript to KDP for printing and it says that only five pages are in the book. The size is correct but it errs. Either those pages are in 100 point font or something is wrong!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No experience with the KDP site, so I can’t say.

However, you can read the ePub you made in the iBooks app. That should let you know if there was a problem exporting it.

Typically the font size in an ePub is unimportant (if it is even specified). Very few ebook apps use the book’s fonts. They use the fonts the reader has set in the reading app.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I saved my book as .docx and it still says that just five pages are in the book. 469 kB and I used Chrome instead of Safari as suggested.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iBooks Author will no longer be updated, and it won't be available to new users as of July 1, 2020.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Word was used to save as .docx but somehow the rtf version was approved and uploaded successfully! I’m just waiting for Amazon to approve the paperback book.

Thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on your way.

Unimportant stuff below.

iBooks, I should have just called it Books. It’s Apple’s book reading app. Not surprisingly, it reads the ePub format that Pages exports. Pages has an option to export directly to Books, if it’s installed

If you don’t have it, you can download it for free from the App Store.

Word for iPad will let you read docx files, even without an account. You just can’t edit or save them. On iPad Mini and iPhone you can get most of the features without an account. Microsoft has a strange rule about screen sizes of the device that determines whether you need a license or not.

Also, Pages will import Word files. It’s an acceptable way to read documents if you’ve no other way, or as a one time import of a document you want to modify and use. I con’t consider it good enough for collaboration. Errors tend to accumulate each time you pass the document back and forth between formats.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. I’m looking into Books by Apple for publishing my book. Barnes and Noble requires that the cover upload be larger than the image I have. I haven’t found a site that enlarges the image for no cost.

Most reactions

Latest posts