What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox???

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
davidtxs said:
Anyone have any exp with the otter box case??,

Me. Otterbox Defender + utility bag.
I love it, several times bumped in harsh environment and all is fine. It is a bit heavy though and one of my peripherals does not fit through the dock connector opening.
But I repeat: I love it!

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Otter Box Defender cases on my iPad 1 and 3, iPhone 4 and 5. One of the best cases out there. There are many others, some equal too, perhaps a little better. Read the reviews on Google. Otter Boxes' older cases were very chunky, but the new ones are smaller and lighter and provide great protection. No matter what case you get, none of them will protect you from every hazard. If you treat your iDevice/Case like the case wasn't there, in other words, just like it was naked, by being careful, you will be satisfied with it.

OP
D

davidtxs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ya I am in a long term rehab nursing home so in bed alot and I WORRY about it gettin knocked off the bedside table I kind of inherited it from my mom she never even turned it on she passed away a month ago so I got the IPAD and it will be my most treasured item

OP
D

davidtxs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Otter Box Defender cases on my iPad 1 and 3, iPhone 4 and 5. One of the best cases out there. There are many others, some equal too, perhaps a little better. Read the reviews on Google. Otter Boxes' older cases were very chunky, but the new ones are smaller and lighter and provide great protection. No matter what case you get, none of them will protect you from every hazard. If you treat your iDevice/Case like the case wasn't there, in other words, just like it was naked, by being careful, you will be satisfied with it.
Well that ringing endorsement sold me. It does have a kickstand doesnt it??

SamArmstrong99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered the Grey/Crevasse "web exclusive" Otterbox Defender to compliment my white IPad 3 and it is fantastic! Rugged and protective yet stylish, eye-catching and, with the built in stand, perfect for everyday use.

Certainly something that everyone comments on for it's looks and worth the few days wait for it to arrive from the US.

If I have one criticism it is that the connector is too well protected and subsequently too deep to plug in some accessories without needing an extender but, as many will use it as a standalone product (I.e. without plugging bits in) it has been designed with protection as it's prime responsibility and in that respect I am delighted with it.

I did look at the Griffin Survivor too having had that for my iPhone but what it gains in protection it definitely loses in looks and I have always been a little irritated by the flap covering the camera which decides on the day whether it wishes to stay clipped back to allow you to take pics!!!

Like the Griffin, the fact that my iPad is protected within a case, within a silicone surround and with a hard shell means that when I finally decide to upgrade to a newer model my original will be as new which means no scratches or damage and may well justify the extra cost of what I consider to be an already great buy!

OP
D

davidtxs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered the Grey/Crevasse "web exclusive" Otterbox Defender to compliment my white IPad 3 and it is fantastic! Rugged and protective yet stylish, eye-catching and, with the built in stand, perfect for everyday use.

Certainly something that everyone comments on for it's looks and worth the few days wait for it to arrive from the US.
can NOT AGREE MORE i flat love mine and feel much better with it protected the way the Defender does!!!!! PLUS It does the male ego good to s33e a manly case lol besides the basic colors it comes in Camo lol

stoic

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If I have one criticism it is that the connector is too well protected and subsequently too deep to plug in some accessories without needing an extender but, as many will use it as a standalone product (I.e. without plugging bits in) it has been designed with protection as it's prime responsibility and in that respect I am delighted with it.

I did look at the Griffin Survivor too having had that for my iPhone but what it gains in protection it definitely loses in looks and I have always been a little irritated by the flap covering the camera which decides on the day whether it wishes to stay clipped back to allow you to take pics!!!

Like the Griffin, the fact that my iPad is protected within a case, within a silicone surround and with a hard shell means that when I finally decide to upgrade to a newer model my original will be as new which means no scratches or damage and may well justify the extra cost of what I consider to be an already great buy!
I'm concerned about around the circle cutout, it seems very rough and that it would scratch the back of my iPad. Has it scratch yours? Or does mine have a defect with the harsh rough edges?

IOShowtodude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will be impressed with the otterbox defender it's probably the most reliable case on the market in my opinion. Sure it's a little bulky and adds a tad bit of weight but when you drop your iPad on concrete and it still works after? Trust me its a great feeling!

SamArmstrong99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stoic said:
I'm concerned about around the circle cutout, it seems very rough and that it would scratch the back of my iPad. Has it scratch yours? Or does mine have a defect with the harsh rough edges?

To date I have had no issues with it particularly as there is some substantive foam in the areas surrounding it. I have not noticed anything on mine which I have to say gets some serious usage but certainly hasn't scratched mine in any way. I am that happy with my iPad one that I have recently purchased similar crevasse Otterbox Defenders for my partner's new iPad mini and my iPhone 4!!!

Though well protected from bumps and scrapes by the military spec Griffin product I used on the phone, it was a nuisance if I wanted to use the camera .... having to uncover the lens and then try to get the cover to clip back while the camera was in use. Aesthetically too it wasn't a patch on my Otterbox ones being just jet black with the dimensions of a brick!!

Now I have a range which looks good, offers protection and allows pictures to be taken in an instant without missing the shot!!

Last edited:

Wrxspdwgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an early generation Defender case for the iPad 2 which developed a crack at the corner of the snap on cover. I emailed photos of the problem to Otterbox and within a weeks time I had a new updated case. Excellent customer service and a great product. The new case even has a built in screen protector.

MadJoe86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Griffin Survivor and a Otterbox Defender for my iPad 4. I choose the Otterbox over the Griffin. The Griffin seems like it might be a little more protective in some aspects, but it seems like the parts just don't fit together like they should. The Otterbox is very sleek, and slim while the Griffin has some major bulk issues going on. I have always been a big fan of the Otterbox.

Most reactions

Latest posts