What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OS5 upgrade-apps stopped working

Looloohoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.

I upgraded my iPhone and iPad to 5.0 and did the iCloud sync for both, too. Everything is working great with my iPhone. The apps on my iPad, though, are not working. Mail, settings, calendar, YouTube, game center, etc. work. However, if I tap on an app, it starts to boot for 1 second and then stops. Does anyone know what could have caused this and how to fix this? I already turned off my iPad and re-started it, but that did not fix the problem.

Thanks,
Luann

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With respect to your question, I assume you've closed the app (double press the home button, hold the app icon until it jiggles and tap the circled minus sign in the upper left-hand corner), then try reopening it (restarting or resetting your iPad won't close the app).

If that doesn't work try reconnecting your iPad to your computer and re-syncing it with iTunes once or twice. That seems to have fixed app issues for others.

If neither of those works try deleting the app or apps that are not working. Tap and hold the app until it begins to jiggle and then tap the circled "X" in the upper left-hand corner and tap the home button. Then go back and re-sync your iPad with iTunes once more so the app is added back in and try it again.

Hope that helps and others may have more suggestions.

Welcome again and enjoy!

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.

I upgraded my iPhone and iPad to 5.0 and did the iCloud sync for both, too. Everything is working great with my iPhone. The apps on my iPad, though, are not working. Mail, settings, calendar, YouTube, game center, etc. work. However, if I tap on an app, it starts to boot for 1 second and then stops. Does anyone know what could have caused this and how to fix this? I already turned off my iPad and re-started it, but that did not fix the problem.

Thanks,
Luann

This also happened to me after the upgrade. I shut the iPad down by pressing the Home and Off button, and then moving the slider to turn my iPad off. When I turned it on again, all apps worked. Note that some apps, like the New Yorker magazine app, no longer showed downloaded issues, but it was easy to get them back again. I went through my most important apps to make sure that everything was restored.

I am using an iPad 1 and Windows XP.

OP
L

Looloohoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replying to my message. I shut my ipad 1 down that way too but it did not fix my problem. My apps still don't work. Does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks.

Luann

OP
L

Looloohoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I re-synced my iPad on my computer and the apps started working. Thanks!

Most reactions